Best Usb Internet Dongle?

sidsanuk

Hi,

Help.........

I'm just in BKK for a few weeks working holiday. I really need a good internet connection for my notebook whilst here, and will be moving around between locations, so a USB dongle would be best.

I have spent a very frustrating day so far getting SIMs for my iphone and ipad. (AIS) The internet speed is too slow to do anything other than check email. Bought a 5GB data plan for each that will be next to useless.

So thenI tried a USB dongle for my notebook, Trying an AIS AirCard on 500MB data plan as a trial. that will last me about 2 days........

So my question is. What is the best USB dongle to get? For speed and reliabilty (this AIS one keeps crashing) And can I get one with a useful amount of data? 2-3 GB seems to be the most. I go through about 5-10GB a week, as I need to upload and download graphics files.

Any advice appreciated.

I guess I could fall back on using Hotel Wi Fi, but they always seem a bit expensive.

Any advice appreciated.

I guess I could fall back on using Hotel Wi Fi, but they always seem a bit expensive.

I have no problem with AIS 3G on my Mobile, Tablet or using Laptop tethered to Mobile, fast enough to stream Youtube VDO's etc. Maybe there is a difference between Pre-Paid and Post-Paid accounts. That being said I have only used it in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai.

As for Hotel Wi Fi, have you thought about mixing business with pleasure? Many of the "Western Style" Bars in Thailand offer free Wi Fi to customers (Molly Mallones, Gullivers, Robin Hood etc in BKK) so you can grab a bite to eat whilst imbibing on your favourite tipple and be online at the same time

Me thinks that hotel wi-fi would be the best option.

I'm beginning to thnk the same. Whilst I have been to Thailand many times over the years I have never actually lived here for any lengthy period, although it is somewhat of a semi retirement plan for us.

I'm starting to have doubts just based on the Internet capabilities.......... Sounds petty I know, but my ability to work is 100% based on good Internet connections....

I have no problem with AIS 3G on my Mobile, Tablet or using Laptop tethered to Mobile, fast enough to stream Youtube VDO's etc. Maybe there is a difference between Pre-Paid and Post-Paid accounts. That being said I have only used it in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin and Chiang Mai.

As for Hotel Wi Fi, have you thought about mixing business with pleasure? Many of the "Western Style" Bars in Thailand offer free Wi Fi to customers (Molly Mallones, Gullivers, Robin Hood etc in BKK) so you can grab a bite to eat whilst imbibing on your favourite tipple and be online at the same time

I think maybe the pre paid are not that good........

Mixing business with pleasure............Hmmmm. Very tempting (and Yes Dumsoda, claiming it would be very satisfying), but sadly I have really 'full on' work to get done that can't really be done in a bar, and I also have Mrs Sid in tow :-(

I'm starting to have doubts just based on the Internet capabilities.......... Sounds petty I know, but my ability to work is 100% based on good Internet connections....

Whilst not lightning fast compared to Western Standards Internet is not that bad in Thailand, I use TOT and on my alleged 9 Mbps / 1Mbps account I usually hit 10.5 / 1.2, but I do live close to the exchange and there are less restrictions with respect to file sharing (Torrents).

Currently posting from Thanon Rambuttri using AIS 3G 2.7 / 1.3 when I just ran a Speedtest

Whilst not lightning fast compared to Western Standards Internet is not that bad in Thailand, I use TOT and on my alleged 9 Mbps / 1Mbps account I usually hit 10.5 / 1.2, but I do live close to the exchange and there are less restrictions with respect to file sharing (Torrents).

Currently posting from Thanon Rambuttri using AIS 3G 2.7 / 1.3 when I just ran a Speedtest

Sounds good. Is the AIS 3G a USB, or a phone? The best I have managed in the AIS USB is about 1 each way. On my iPhone, it works.........sometimes.

I tossed out the AIS dongle and SIM and switched to a ZTE dongle and iMobile SIM. THe dongle is rated at 21.6 Mpbs ! Even the guy in the shop laughed, and said at best, with the wind in the right direction, I might get 10.

But it works fine. 3 down and 1 up, which is fine.

Archived