When Did They Renovate Dm ?

gobbledonk

http://www.donmuangairportonline.com/photo-gallery

Till Air Asia moved out there, it looks like it was just Nok Air and One-Two-Go : I've lost count of the number of forum posts I've seen over the years claiming that Nok are 'on the verge of bankruptcy'. Flew with them in 2008 and it was better than Jetstar and no worse than Thai Air Asia. Clearly, they must be doing something right.

I hope they continue to improve DM, given the problems with Swampy earlier this year and the ongoing threat of someone deciding that another airport blockade might be a good idea.

http://www.donmuanga...m/photo-gallery

Till Air Asia moved out there, it looks like it was just Nok Air and One-Two-Go : I've lost count of the number of forum posts I've seen over the years claiming that Nok are 'on the verge of bankruptcy'. Flew with them in 2008 and it was better than Jetstar and no worse than Thai Air Asia. Clearly, they must be doing something right.

I hope they continue to improve DM, given the problems with Swampy earlier this year and the ongoing threat of someone deciding that another airport blockade might be a good idea.

has Air Asia moved lock,stock and barrel back to swampy?.

Back to swampy ? I assume you mean BACK TO DON MUANG ? Way too much time hanging around Patong, methinks, sayjann. The 'closer proximity to Bangkok city centre' claim below will have Patts punters grinding their teeth, but Air Asia is hardly the long-haul carrier of choice for most here. I'm kinda stunned that the Amari has survived out there for so long with all the tourists flying into the other side of town - perhaps BKK residents can clue me in as to exactly what else one might find of interest in the DM area : I dont recall the area as anything special.

http://www.airasia.c...plate.do?id=548

1.Why is AirAsia transferring its operations to Don Mueang Airport?

Suvarnabhumi Airport is currently the busiest airport in ASEAN which results in air traffic congestion especially during peak hours. We plan to increase our fleet to 48 Airbus A320s from the current 24, and the move to Don Mueang Airport will be able to comfortably accommodate this expansion as well as provide convenience to our guests given the closer proximity to Bangkok City Center.

2. When will AirAsia start operations in Don Mueang?

From 1 October 2012 onwards.

3A. When will I receive my revised itinerary to reflect DMK airport code (Don Mueang) instead of BKK airport code?

For affected guests traveling from October 1 onwards, we will send you your revised itinerary at least one month prior to your departure date

3B. How do I know which airport in Bangkok my booking is being made for?

DMK will apply to all travel starting from 1 October 2012. Your itineraries and boarding passes will show DMK or BKK so please take note of which airport you will be arriving at or departing from.

The check in counter for Air Asia was a complete disaster. A Monday 7:00 am flight turned into a near riot as hundreds of people tried to check in and the Air Asia staff really didn't give a damn it seems. Was there 2 full hours before the flight and was lucky to get on. No organization at all.

But yes, they did renovate the airport - at least the terminal that is being used now for Air Asia and the others.

Air Asia are notorious for antics like that, but I've been pretty luck to date.

They run the LCCT out of KL like a bus terminal, and God knows it feels like one, but I'm usually so happy to be back in Asia that I take any delays or whatever on the chin, and it's much cheaper than trying to get a seat on TG or another full-service airline. Having spent 3+ hours in the tin shed that masquerades as an International Airport in Kuta, I'm pretty happy with anything that has working aircon and less than 3 people per sq metre is OK with me.

I fully expect to find myself out at DMK for a flight to VT or PP at some stage - it will be good to see a new shade of lipstick on the old tart.

Yeah - they've been nailed for that before. I recall one of my fellow BKK-bound passengers in KL pacing up and down like his head was going to explode, murmuring 'every fucking time, every time ....'. I also hated being dumped out on the tarmac and ferried back to the terminal at Swampy by a kamikaze bus driver. There were also rumblings re the differential pay scales for FAs - Australian crew are paid more than their Asian colleagues - but that seems to have been nipped in the bed. I chose to look on the bright side - Ryan Air were considering charging passengers to access the toilets during flights in Europe - afaik, Air Asia has no such plans. Yet. :yikes:

I think most airlines have different rates for FAs and flight crews. Two of my students were hired by JAL - and got paid far less than their Japanese colleagues. Same with a gal who was hired by QANTAS. I knew an America pilot for JAL. He was the captain, but got lower pay than his Japanese co-pilot.

Archived