Baht 170 For A Black Soda?!

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway I had a pint of Heineken and two Black Sodas and the bill was Baht 440, which sounds quite reasonable, except that it was happy hour and the pint of Heineken was Baht 100, meaning the two Black Sodas were Baht 340 or Baht 170 each?! Actually the Blacks Labels were Baht 150 each but they charge for the bottle of soda separately at Baht 40. So if you only had one Black Soda it would cost you Baht 190!!

Got to be the most expensive Black Sodas of any farang pub in Bangkok? :down:

I got caught there a couple of years ago now. Wanted a quiet place for a bit of a chat with a lass I was helping out, place seemed to fit the bill but like you I was rather taken aback at what I considered a hefty markup on even go-go prices. Not been back since and no intention to do so either. Shame really, could be a nice little boozer. Maybe the regulars have discount cards :)

That's the place right under the Asoke BTS - adjacent to a stairwell? Walk by there all the time without knowing this is 'the black swan.' Heard both good and bad, was going to check it out though now a little less inclined. Went to a place called prop bar in Bang Sue last week, pretty interesting - and the black sodas were reasonable (I was alternating between black sodas and sangsom sodas trying to be eclectic, though they showed up on the checkbin at around the same price - which btw I can't remember - except that it was close to 100bht straight up).

A thread that would be eternally useful, nay - possibly the most useful thread in the whole history of all mankind - would be a comparative listing of happy hours in the suk area along with actual prices and a quick eval of the environment.

Pork with cream mushroom sauce at the Queen Vic. Looked good and properly cooked, although a bit bland for my taste.

Sorry to hear that Munchie......I've not tried that dish....guess it's pretty hard to make steamed vegies & chips "unbland"

I only started going there a few months ago on the suggestion of a mutual friend from Laos....he claims the Fish & Chips are the best he's had in years.

The Pate is really good....and for 180 Baht (about the same price of a Dumsoda)....a bargain !

Soups, Breakfasts, Steaks, Lamb Shanks. Pies & even the Thai food are all good IMHO

OK....as a redeemer I'll let you in on what is one of my favourite meals in Bangkok. I have to have it at least once every time I'm in Bkk

The Roast Pork Chop with Onion Gravy, Roesti & salad (No, 34 or 36 (I think!!) on the menu) at the Beer Garden in Soi 7....290 Baht after a recent price increase

The "Desserts" there can be a little hit & miss though.....555

OK....as a redeemer I'll let you in on what is one of my favourite meals in Bangkok. I have to have it at least once every time I'm in Bkk

The Roast Pork Chop with Onion Gravy, Roesti & salad (No, 34 or 36 (I think!!) on the menu) at the Beer Garden in Soi 7....290 Baht after a recent price increase

Thanks for that DS, if I make it down there I'll give it a try.

Archived