Si Racha - Victim Of Its Own Success ?

gobbledonk

I spend a lot of time looking at maps, and Si Racha has a lot going for it, at least in terms of location. Unfortunately, I've read various forum posts saying that its as boring as hell during the week, traffic is murder and the place is a mecca for young Bangkok 'revheads' on the weekends. In almost every other way - proximity to Patts/Swampy/BKK without having to share a footpath with a thousand Russians / Indians / Nigerians every night - its damned near perfect, if a tad industrial.

I guess the search for 'paradise' continues - next week, Mae Sot ! :D

Hua Hin has been hit hard with development. Prachuab is still nice, though there are some housing areas going up near it. A colleague bought a home and retired there last year. He loves it. I spent my first month of Thailand in Prachuab. Lived in a bungaloo across the road from the beach.

Prachuab is 93 km south of Hua Hin, far enough to escape the crowds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province

Yes Prachuab Kiri kahn is a nice spot - lovely unspoiled beaches and quiet ( although its a few yrs since I last visited ).Mair Sot - interesting place with an edgy frontier feel to it ,might have something to do with all the Burmese there.Good place to stop over on the way to see the many waterfalls in the area such as Ti Lor Su in Umpang and Pa Jaroen in :cheerleader::chinaman: Pop Pra.

Both Thap Sakae, Ban Krot and Bang Saphan in Prachuap have deserted beaches stretching for miles.

As the beach is a fair distance away from the Phetkasem Highway, there is very little traffic here.

It also means that I can be a tad difficult to arrange transportation. But with this being Thailand, something can always be arranged.

I would, however, recommend to bring your own wheels.

There is a newly constructed temple with stunning views of the coast line in Ban Krut: Wat Thang Sai. Well worth a visit.

Waterfalls: Sai Goo and Huay Yang National Park.

Lively market at the burmese border of Sing Khon.

The Island Koh Thalu "Island with a hole in it" offers decent snorkelling and also boasts a very attractive resort, rather steep price though.

Generally speaking, the price level in this area is very affordable. During our last visit in July we had Khanom Jeen "Chinese noodles" all you can eat for only 10 baht.

Further to the south Chumpon and the beach Thung Wua Laen is also very attractive.

I've been to Chumphon several times, and I like Hua Hin, but I dont enjoy driving in Thailand. Probably a different proposition in more sparsely populated surrounds, but even the road between Udon Thani and Nong Khai seems to have thousands of folk on motorbikes who have zero concept of 'safe stopping distance'. Nothing like having a family of five appear in your lane with nothing more than a 250cc engine to push them from zero ti a hundred km in the 2 seconds it would have taken for me to run straight over the top of them .....

Archived