Suit

joseph49

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

one fact to note is the best material is imported (either from the UK or Italy) and there is a high duty associated

with it. While the labor is inexpensive, the imported fabric is expensive. Accordingly, 3000 baht suit is made not

from the best fabric...probably either a blend or all poly

• 5 months later...

unit 731, what did you get for 3k baht? A package deal or one suit. I plan on buying some dress suits. Work related. Maybe 5 suits. What's a good price for that? I'll buy in Pattaya from one of the Indian guys I usually avoid. I would assume similar pricing as Bangkok tailors give or take. Shirts as well, oh, and shoes. But I imagine shoes are elsewhere, which brings up another question where to get good dress shoes. Business attire.

I would advise against buying 5 suits at once, rather order and take delivery of one suit, use it for several months and then decide on additional purchases. For 3K Baht I don't think the suit will be made of fabric you would enjoy wearing. A good tightly woven wool suit fabric, tropical or middle weight would probably cost about 1K baht a yard, so the fabric alone would cost at least 3,500 baht. Throw in the linings, interlinings, buttons and zipper you reach 4,000.

That's before a skilled tailor begins to work. :o

"If you are planning on having clothes tailored in Thailand or anywhere in Southeast Asia, please read this. So many people get ripped off by this that I am surprised that it is never included in the guides nor has anyone I know of written an good guide to negotiating the pitfalls of this venture. It should be a boxed text in LP Thailand. This attempts to correct that.

The first thing you have to ask yourself when considering having a suit tailored in Southeast Asia is, "What do I expect?" If you have some fantasy about getting a "bespoke" suit equivalent or even close to what is produced by top notch tailors in England, New York, and Naples - then reconsider.

First of all, bespoke means hand sewn - no machines folks. Despite that every Bangkok tailor calls himself bespoke, it just isn't the case. True bespoke work takes a lot of time and I have never seen a tailor anywhere in Asia, except Japan and Hong Kong, that offers this service. This does not mean that a machine made suit can't be superb - it can. It just won't stand up to top international standards. What you can get from some of Asia's better tailors is a bit of hand detail work - and even that is enough to increase the dollar per stitch value of your investment considerably. Bespoke also generally means that you are working directly with the tailor who designs, fits, and cuts the pattern for your garment."

LINK

unit 731, what did you get for 3k baht? A package deal or one suit. I plan on buying some dress suits. Work related. Maybe 5 suits. What's a good price for that? I'll buy in Pattaya from one of the Indian guys I usually avoid. I would assume similar pricing as Bangkok tailors give or take. Shirts as well, oh, and shoes. But I imagine shoes are elsewhere, which brings up another question where to get good dress shoes. Business attire.

I have always found the price less in Bangkok.

Usually on side roads off Sukhumvit. Either side.

In and around the Nana BTS station area.

Also I would meander the maze between German Beer Garden and up from Grace Hotel towards Sukhumvit.

That area now seems to have morphed into another cultural area. But prices still can be good.

The advantage of purchasing multiple suits from same vendor is price. But if one suit is bad they all potentially can be bad. The opposite is obviously true.

Some here have loyalty with one tailor shop. I don't.

I may get a suit from one vendor and shirts from another vendor. I gear towards price.

I have silk and cotton shirts that are 15 years old. And still in perfect condition. With multiple washings in a regular washing machine. Reading the labels on shirts I found: Jackies Tailor and Manhattan - but also found some shirts with no label. As with many purchases one does have to negotiate.

Archived