Arriving And Departing Narita The Same Day; Questions

dean

My wife and 3 of the kids will be flying to Thailand next summer for 2.5 months. On the way back, they have a 13 hour layover at Narita airport on August 8 (arriving at 7:30 AM and leaving at 8:30 PM). They will be travelling on Thai passports, except for my son, who has both a thai and U.S. passport. Would Japanese customs allow them to leave the airport to check into a hotel for 8-9 hours near the airport? If they are allowed to leave the airport, will they be charged a departure tax on arriving back at the airport? Any recommended hotels would be appreciated.

Not sure, But here is what has happened to me before. First time on United, plane was late leaving the US. Got held over the night in Narita. Customs just stamped my passport, welcome good for 90 days.. Ok.

Go back the next morning go through cutoms, take care thanks.

Then it happened again. Thanks United.. Same thing. No fuss no muss.

Then last year, United again, plane late leaving. Get to Narita, They tell me I'm going to old airport and flying out that night.

Cleared customs, again 90 day stamp. Get to the other airport. Thanks for visting, fly safe..

This is on a US passport.. No exit fee I had to pay. Do not know about Thai, as my wife was allready home and I came at a later date. She still is Thai. citizen with US green card staus.

Hope that helps some.

My wife had a male thai friend go to Japan 6 years ago to see his sister that lived there with her Japanese husband, and to work in the underground massage industry. He arrived at Narita immigration, speaking no japanese and around 1,000-2,000 baht on him. After two hours of questioning, they sent him back to Thailand either that day or the next day and he never left the hold areal. I'm not sure why, but my wife would like to check into a hotel in the Narita area and walk around for a while. I was bumped several years ago on NWA and had the same opportunity and wasn't overly impressed with the area. It sounds like the rest/hotel area inside the transit area of departures is her best bet. .

They don't leave until May 28, so I'll check on the nearest Japanese consulate. My bigger priority now is to get their passports, which expire in February, renewed. It has to be done in person, so we may have to drive to Oklahoma to the thai consulate there to get it done. The thai passports are only $30-40 a piece. My son's U.S. passport costs the same as an adult passport, over $100,but only lasts 5 years. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thai passports need a visa to leave the airport.

There is no way to charge departure tax, no counters, nothing. It's already included in the ticket.

Plenty of hotels built solely for the purpose of accommodating NRT passengers. World names too. All have own free shuttle bus.

Good hotel can be had for 70$. Be aware, Japanese hotel prices are per person, not per room.

NRT surrounding is not worth having a look at. A bleak suburbia. The airport itself has more interesting things and restaurants than the Narita place itself.

Archived