Ao Wai // When

gawguy

I looked up เอาไว้ in Thai-Language.com and it is used in so many ways! It's very confusing and I'm wondering if I can ever use it.

I received a text msg: เอาไว้ฉันไปพะตทะพาฉันจะโรทหา

One could translate this as: WHEN I go to Pattaya I'll phone you.

Thai-Language.com does not define ไว้ , only notes [a word that implies a tentative speculation of a plan or course of action in the near future]

I don't think ao wai actually means "when" though, and that is something I'd like to understand. How would you say something like:

When you are home (in village) what are your chores?

Is "when" wayla, meuh-ah or what? Or do you just use some other construction? It's such a common phrase in English: When I travel I eat more than when I'm home. When I'm in Pattaya I swim at my hotel.

How do you say "when" for those situations? Or you just don't say it like we do?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Personally I use "wayla" for a period of time, "meuh-ah" for a specific time, though they could be reversed. I would never use เอาไว้ for time. :dunno:

p.s. Glad you told me พะตทะพา means Pattaya. I'd have never guessed it. :p

Never seen Pattaya spelled that way either :surprised: ......." gep ao wai " seems to to be a common expression,meaning keep for the future :chinaman:

But how do you say "when" ??

How would you say something like:

When you are home (in village) what are your chores?

Is "when" wayla, meuh-ah or what? Or do you just use some other construction? It's such a common phrase in English: When I travel I eat more than when I'm home. When I'm in Pattaya I swim at my hotel.

How do you say "when" for those situations? Or you just don't say it like we do?

here's a rough guide for getting across English "when" in Thai:

1. use เมื่อ for the past

2. use เวลา or ตอน for future/habitual (regular, continuous) occurrences (note that both these terms have a ton of other uses as well!)

3. for the future, it's more common, in my experience, to use two verb phrases instead...for instance, "call me when you get in" = ถึงà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§ โทรมาหานะ or "when you see [it], you'll know" เดี๋ยวเห็น จะรู้

Note that the original phrase you were asking about is a perfect example of #3...though what's important to get across that sense of "when" is not the เอาไว้ but rather the fact that she's using two verb phrases to illustrate a condition that must be met (phrase 1) before a certain action (phrase 2) will occur.

• 3 months later...

here's a rough guide for getting across English "when" in Thai:

1. use เมื่อ for the past

2. use เวลา or ตอน for future/habitual (regular, continuous) occurrences (note that both these terms have a ton of other uses as well!)

3. for the future, it's more common, in my experience, to use two verb phrases instead...for instance, "call me when you get in" = ถึงà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§ โทรมาหานะ or "when you see [it], you'll know" เดี๋ยวเห็น จะรู้

Note that the original phrase you were asking about is a perfect example of #3...though what's important to get across that sense of "when" is not the เอาไว้ but rather the fact that she's using two verb phrases to illustrate a condition that must be met (phrase 1) before a certain action (phrase 2) will occur.

Khun Ratchada.. I've been home for several months and just back LOS and getting into Thai again. I just came across this answer to my question. Brilliant explanation! I appreciate the detailed academic approach. Thank you very much. Gaw Guy

Archived