Thai Id Cards And Thai Logic

passingthru69

So here we are back in LOS. My wife has been here since the first part of Dec.

She see's that her Thai. Id. card expries in March. So she goes into town and tells them she needs to renew her card. No you can not do, wait untill March.

She leaves..I tell her to wait untill after the new year and try again.

So this morning wife and mother in law go into town. They come back and she is mad. Will not do this morning. Come back in March..

Mother in law gets on the moblie, makes a call to somebody. I find out the somebody is a brother of her's that I have only met once.

Found out he works somewhere with the Thai. goverment.

Go after lunch, Ok off we go. She waits in line and gets to the counter, Lady asks, why are you back?

My wife again says why she needs to do this today or by the end of the week.

Lady says again no.

My wife asks if I lose it can I get new one then?

Well yes you can. My wife goes, well off I go to the police to file report I lost it.

Lady says no you did not lose it as I see it.

My mother in law asks her a couple of questions. Girl answers her. Then tells my wife and mother in law to move so she can take care of next person.

Mother in law, asks another question. The girls eyes lite up.

They talk and the next thing I know my wife got her new card issued...

Now the kicker, We get back home. Mother in law is happy she got new holder for her Id card..

My one sister in law goes, Card no good.. Huh.

My mother in law's card expried in Sept. last year...

So guess where we are going in the morning???

Not taking bets on it. When do they expire?

Like my wife to the lady, If I lose it then file police report I can get a new one. Yes she was told.

Also I guess you can get them at Thai embassy in the states as well. But we do not get close to any of them.

Not making a trip to Dc or New York or La..

That was what the man doing the picutre taking asked my wife..

I called the thai embassy in Wahsington 1-2 years ago and was told ID cards need to be issued in Thailand. I kind of doubt if my 18 year old son will get his thai ID card if he goes to Thailand this summer with the rest of the family (I think the cards re first issued at age 16 and he has been in the U.S. since age 14). I don't believe he wants to serve in the Thai military and is holding out for joining the U.S. army. Thats assuming he graduates this May.

He should still hang onto his Thai citizenship. Dual citizenship can be a useful thing to have, even if he even just wants to visit Thailand in the future. Plus I don't think they could draft him into the Thai forces if he was in the US. (Forget the Thai Army. If drafted, he would be paid chicken feed - seriously. The US military pays far better these days, now that it can't just draft people. :p )

• 2 months later...

I just ran across an article that said as of 2011, it was compulsory for thais to get their ID cards by age 7. My 16 year old step daughter will be applying for the first time. I'm hoping that she gets an official that isn't a hard ass and keeps changing the goal posts. My son will be 5 and a half years old this summer. While ID's are compulsory at age 7, can a 5 year old get one? He may not be back in LOS for 5-7 years after this summer and getting the card now would be a lot easier than waiting until he is 12.

Archived