Anyone Remember The Good Old Days?

jw_marryrit

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did she ever dance at the [old] Spanky's? I did a 52 yo. dancer from there in about 2006. Great (though heavily surgically modified) body, not-at-all-great face, horrible in bed, heheh.

huh...????

Jon46 was implying in his post by stating "Living as an "expat" can spoil a person very quickly, more so for Brits whose salaries are a fraction of those in the USA." that USA Citizens are better paid than Brits which is a myth.

In the US the Federal Minimum Wage is USD 7.25 / Hour whereas in the UK it is GBP 6.19 which at todays exchange rate comes to USD 9.60 / Hour expressed as a ratio as 1.325:1 or as a fraction 13.25/10. A Fraction is made up of two parts the Numerator and the Denominator N/D = Fraction, there is no rule in Math that state that the Numerator cannot be grater than the Denominator but usually are expressed as mixed numbers thereby 15/10 could be expressed as 1 1/2. Sorry I didn't realise I had to teach you basic Math.

Lets forget basic wages and look at it from a global perspective, if an American was offered 10 Grand / Month he would be thinking in USD if a Brit was offered 10 Grand / Month he would be thinking in GBP, and trust me I have worked on many projects with Americans when we have been on the same Hourly or Monthly rate number wise but I have been paid in GBP whereas my American workmates have been paid in USD, I never had the heart to tell them that, thereby I stand by my 15/10 fraction.

Whilst Jon46 comment may have been partially grammatically correct about fractions he contradicted himself by saying "More so the Brit's". I was merely pointing out that "A Fraction of" can also mean greater than as well as less than, his comment implied that Brits were on Less than Americans.

My 3 strongest subjects even from High School days have been Math, Physics and Chemistry hence the reason I do the job I do now.

My strongest subjects were English and History, hence I am poor as a church mouse. :beer:

p.s. Actually I always did well in Mathematics, but I hated it. No teacher ever once told me why I wanted to find the things I was finding, nor what I was supposed to do with them after I'd found the answer. Same with Chemistry. Pointless activities turned me off. :(

Generally, it is fairly well established that the salaries of Americans living in the US are higher than salaries of Brits living in the UK.

As a matter of fact, it has been widely reported that American CEO's are among the highest paid in the world, surpassing those in the UK as well as Japan with similar positions.

My comments were directed to "expats" who in business are usually people in the executive class not working "mininum wage".

Sure if you compare mininum wage btw the two countries and then factor in the fx rate, then the mininum wage in the UK translated to Thai baht is higher. Btw, President Obama in his State of the Union address proposed raising the mininum wage to $9!

Jon46

Hence the reason why made the comparison between expats working in similar positions as opposed to minimum wage, you took the argument a full 180 degrees and claim US CEO's are paid more, have you ever heard of the 99% movement.

Not all expats are CEO's or COO's in fact many expats do mundane work but prefer the lifestyle of being an expat, I bet many BM's wished we were CEO's on a Mega-Package but we are not, but to claim that USA salaries are better than the UK is a sign of ignorance and contempt. Even I have been lured back to the UK for work approx 12 K / month this is GBP not USD which equates to USD 225K per annum. I am just an everyday Engineer not a CEO or COO.

I will not be subject to State and Federal taxes as I would be in USA and since I will be operating as a LTD Company most of my living expenses come out of company turnover Pre-Tax. Your claim that the average USA citizen is better off than their UK contemporary is typical American bullshit IMHO. I may not know much having lived as an expat for over 25 years now I probably learned fuck all!

Flash, watch "Breaking Bad" and you may understand where my interest in chemistry stems from haha!

pls note the per capita income of US and UK as per the World Bank stats

Lists of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita

All figures are in current International Dollars (Int$).

International Monetary Fund (2010–11)[3] [hide]

Rank Country Int$ Year 1 Qatar 98,948 2011 2 Luxembourg 80,559 2011 3 Singapore 59,710 2011 4 Norway 53,396 2011 5 Brunei 49,536 2011 — Hong Kong 49,417 2011 6 United States 48,328 2011 7 United Arab Emirates 47,729 2011 8 Switzerland 44,452 2011 9 San Marino[4] 43,090 2011 10 Netherlands 42,023 2011 11 Kuwait 41,701 2011 12 Austria 41,556 2011 13 Australia 40,847 2011 14 Ireland 40,838 2011 15 Sweden 40,705 2011 16 Canada 40,519 2011 17 Germany 38,077 2011 18 Iceland 38,060 2011 19 Belgium 37,781 2011 20 Taiwan 37,716 2011 21 Denmark 37,048 2011 22 United Kingdom 36,522 2011 23 Finland 35,981 2011

Again a non argument, as you previously stated / admitted yourself American CEO's are the best paid in the world so this slightly skews the figures. The UK and the USA both face the same problems with Immigration, the UK even more so in my opinion since due to EU regulations the UK has no right to deny access to a passport holder from a fellow EU Country, Bulgarians and Romanians are already rubbing their collective hands just like the Poles were 5 years ago, it is the influx of Eastern Europeans who have made the average artificially low.

Now if you were able to show me figures that took out the top 5% wage earners and the bottom 5% I bet that overall the average salary of the remaining 90% would be higher in the UK.

Oh, and we have free healthcare something most Americans dream of.

I am not getting into a pissing contest or an argument Jon, just stating facts, I have my opinion and you have yours no problem, I do enjoy a lively debate.

Archived