Anyone Remember The Good Old Days?

jw_marryrit

Part 3: Explanation:

Reason 2: inflation, general rise in prices

The prices for accommodation, food and beverages, living expenses etc. increased noticeably in the last years. Thailand has become more expensive.

That corresponds with the stagnant western wages and the bad rate of exchange.

In the first years of the 90ties you needed for a good day (hotel, bar hopping, drinking and a girl for the night) about 100 US-Dollars. Today you need about 250 Dollars to buy the same!

Bakwahn

Hamburg Duesseldorf Bangkok

I would consider this statement to be true circa '99 when the Thai economy went tits up and US$ 100 got you THB 6,000 early 90's only THB 2,500

US$ 250 today will only get you THB 7,500 if lucky and believe me THB 6,000 went a lot further back in '99 than THB 7,500 today, IMHO you are looking at US$ 400 / THB 12,000 at todays prices for the equivalent "Sanuk"

Thanks for your input, you obviously put a lot of thought, time and effort into it and I am sure many BM's and Lurkers will appreciate it.

I agree with with the majority of what you wrote, but as I pointed out '99 was the Golden Year when US$ 100 did give you the most purchasing power since I first arrived in Thailand in '91. I am not saying you are incorrect in your assessment, it is just your opinion against mine.

I think the Euro was born in 1999 but did not go into circulation until 2002.

Cheers

Kong

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<<A short history of the P4P scene in Thailand.

It started all at the end of the Vietnam War in the year 1975.>>

I think you'll find it's been around a lot longer than that

It's been around since before Flashermac landed here, now that is a long time ago.

Thanks for your input, you obviously put a lot of thought, time and effort into it and I am sure many BM's and Lurkers will appreciate it.

Thanks for the flowers, Mekong, I am pleased with your affirming, approving words.

US$ 250 today will only get you THB 7,500 if lucky and believe me THB 6,000 went a lot further back in '99 than THB 7,500 today, IMHO you are looking at US$ 400 / THB 12,000 at todays prices for the equivalent "Sanuk"

I did not want to go too high. But yes, it is true, when you include the high Thai inflation then you need indeed, well, well, I would say 300 US$ today to buy the same sanuk as in the year 1997.

Do the normal, the average American get a salary, an income 3 times higher than in 1997 or in 1999???

No, no, no.

He is lucky if he earns the same inflation-adjusted as in 1999 or 2000.

The last 12 years (8 years under Bush and 4 years under Obama) have been an economic disaster for the USA.

An annotation, a question:

Mekong, you write that the US$ reached its highest exchange rate to the Bath in 1999.

I think it was in 1997! There was the Thai money crisis and the Bath went down 100%.

In 1995 and 1996 I got 17, 18 Bath for my DM (Deutsch-Mark).

In 1997 I got 36 Bath for my DM. I was in paradise. That 1997 and not 1999.

This is just a minor historical note

Primary note:

2 months ago I was hit by an apoplectic stroke which paralyzed the right side of my body.

I can use my computer only with the untrained left hand.

Now I have much time because I am in the rehabilitation phase.

I can indulge in a better past.

Bakwahn

Hamburg Bangkok Duesseldorf

Nasiada,

You are correct the crash / all time low for the Baht was 97 and not 99 as I stated and I stand corrected I was thinking that it was about 14 years ago and forgot that it is now 2013 and no longer 2011, where did the last 2 years go to?

Sorry to hear about your health issues and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Cheers

Kong

Which is a hotel , some expenses and a " Girl for the night " . How would you split this up ?

BiBi

I did not say that I would spend 12,000 Baht / Day Just making a comparison between what 6,000 Baht would have bought back in 97 compared to what 12,000 would buy today, and I would have a stab in the Dark and say about the same.

Not that I frequent the P4P scene anymore but I would guess that Hotel prices, beer prices, Bar Fines, ST/LT fees Food Costs, Price of Cigarettes etc have all doubled in the past 16 years. I can tell you that the overall cost of living has doubled over the past 16 years'

While prices are higher from "the Good Old days", nevertheless, today Thailand still remains as one of the best bargains

in the world.

For example, you can have a bowl of noodles or a plate of rice for as little as 30 baht. Very good hotel rooms

are available in the 900-1,300 baht range. LT rate from an outdoor beer garden establishment in Pattaya is still affordable (after bargaining) at 1,000 baht (plus 300 baht barfind). Taxis/bus fares are cheap by international standards. Local haircuts are only 60 baht and a routine cleaning at the dentist only 350 baht. Regular messages (2 hrs) can be had for 160 baht.

Of course, prices at the international hotels are higher in keeping with world rates as well as establishments that cater to foreigners.

Archived