Anyone Remember The Good Old Days?

jw_marryrit

There are two prices in LOS; prices in Bangkok and the resort communities and everywhere else. I still have my house about 17 kilometers outside of Chiang Mai and I can attest that prices there for most things are considerably less than the price for the same service in Bangkok.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no no no there are as many prices as there are sellers * customers in the royal kingdom of LOS with all due respect.

just ask the official government responsible for the multi tiered price fixing :)

go to a student area in bkk and find amazingly cheap beers, foods etc.

go to khaosan rd area & amazingly bargains are still available for most things in all the back lanes there...

obviously any thai town have similar pricing sturcture that whatever the market can bear in a given zone such will the prices be...

example put a naive, rich tourist at phuket with only 1 tuk tuk in sight at the airport & the ride of his life is bound to cost a bigger fortune say 3569bt !!!

Jon46 posting # 100

Yes, of course, you are right ascertaining Thailand being a country worth the money.

But the area at lower Sukumvhit is very expensive now = the bars of NEP and Soi Cowboy and the girls.

There has been a price explosion in recent years.

Dean posting #101

Yes, outside of Bangkok life is still inexpensive.

In the province, it is still very cheap.

Worldfun #102

example put a naive, rich tourist at phuket with only 1 tuk tuk in sight at the airport & the ride of his life is bound to cost a bigger fortune say 3569bt !!!

But we are not naive, rich tourists. We are enlightened sanuk-tourists who want the best for their money.

We are well informed scrutinizers.

Bakwahn

Hamburg Bangkok Duesseldorf

There are two prices in LOS; prices in Bangkok and the resort communities and everywhere else. I still have my house about 17 kilometers outside of Chiang Mai and I can attest that prices there for most things are considerably less than the price for the same service in Bangkok.

Dean if you could take of your "Western Tinted Viewpoint Glasses" and look at things from Local perspective you would realise that the cost of living is going through the roof for your average Thai.

In 2008 a Litre of Diesel was 17.49 Baht today it is 29.99 Baht a 72% Increase in 5 years, do you think this increase is absorbed by the Hauliers or passed down to the consumer? Hence the reason why the shelf prices keep going up and up. Why do you think you never see taxi's in Gas stations anymore but at NGC/LGV Statins there is a queue half way up the Soi.

For Health reasons / Stealth Tax a Pack of 20 Marlboro Lights has gone up from 45 Baht to 90 Baht in the same timescale, same with the tax increases on Alcohol (which don't affect me to much now).

OK I hear you saying, $3.80 / Gallon (based on 3.8 Litres per US Gallon) is on par with US prices but comparing minimum wages a Thai could earn 11 Litre of Fuel per day compared to 64 Litre in the States. Given the strengthening of the Baht against most Western currencies plus the spiralling inflation Thailand today is nowhere as cheap as it was say ever 3-4 years ago for an expat, let alone your average Thai.

Property Rental, even my minimal apartment in Bangkok I can rent bigger for the same price in a better area of the UK plus get the tax breaks which will make it cheaper, used vehicles cost 500% more in Thailand than they do in the UK, i.e. a 3 years old Benz SLK with less than 40K KM on the clock for less than 500,000 Baht compared to 2.5 Million here. As you are aware I have been agonising for the past couple of months whether to ride it out in Thailand or go back to the UK for a few months - couple of years and after speaking with my accountant and number crunching myself I will be better off in the UK for the time being.

I know this is posted in nightlife, cold just as well be posted in Expats, but the cost of basic living is going through the roof here without even bringing nightlife into the equation.

Kong

Let us think about the good old times of

the steeped in legend Thermae Coffee Shop

the legendary coffee shop of the GRACE Hotel Soi 3

What is going on there today?

The Thermae has been conquered by the Japanese.

Nowadays white foreigners are there only among the also-rans. And the Japanese ruined the prices.

The coffee shop of the Grace was crowded with girls in the evenings and nights.

It was a girls-paradise.

Everything has changed for the worse.

A somewhat belated trip report

I arrived in Bangkok - I think - in February 1998; I can not remember exactly. Standing at the taxi rank I wondered what hotel I should stay in. In my regular hotel, the Prince-Hotel, located at New Petchaburi Road, near Sukhumvit Soi 3? In this hotel I always receive preferential treatment from the staff.

I really don't know what devil rode me when I chose the Madras-Cafe. That is an Indian guest-house at the Silom Road; about 800 m from Patpong. This hotel is managed by an Indian Muslim and his Thai wife. And “ladies visits are not allowedâ€, emphasized this celibate Muslim again and again.

The next 2 days I visited my Thai friends and their families, made my sightseeing tours and walks and in the evening I enjoyed the girls and bars of Patpong. But I could not barfine a girl, because “ladies visits are not allowedâ€.

On the third evening I went to Nana Plaza and entered one of the big bars of Hollywood Group. Carousel, I think. I took a seat and ordered a Singha beer.

I ran my eyes over the dancing girls. Some pretty ones, some not so nice. After some minutes change of dancing shift. The new girls entered the stage and started dancing.

I took my bottle of beer and drank a big gulp. While drinking something unexpected happened, something I've always hoped fervently to come true:

Eyes to cerebrum: We see a super girl, curvaceous, voluptuous, huge tits.

Cerebrum to eyes: Yes. I have noticed it.

Cerebrum to testicles: Increase the production of testosterone at peak performance.

Testicles to cerebrum: All locks are open. A strong current of testosterone pours into the bloodstream.

Heart to cerebrum: I am pumping at highest frequency.

Body to cerebrum: All organs and functions are working on highest performance

Hands to cerebrum: We are trembling with excitement and titillation.

Body to cerebrum: I am aroused, I am feeling horny like 7 sailors

Cock to cerebrum: I got rock-hard. I am on fire. The pants are very tight.

Cerebrum to all: Fine. We are ready for action now.

Again I took up the bottle with trembling hand and greedily drank a big gulp.

Cerebrum to face: Put on a friendly smile

Cerebrum to eyes: Make eye-contact with that girl.

The girl noticed me and smiled back.

I started to size up her body measurements.

Height: 152 cm about 5'1''

Bust: 96 cm about 36 – 37'' bust d or dd?

Waist: 63 cm about 24''

Hips: 90 cm about 35''

Her face was not pretty. We all know our often used scale of beauty. According to our conventional notions of female beauty (1 - 10), the girl could be granted at most a 5 or 6.

But she was created for a boob man like me. I think BIG and she was BIG. She was a sexbomb.

Couldn't get off my eyes from the swinging and swaying boobs of that girl. I was stared at by two big black nipples, surrounded by large dark areolas. Her ample breasts were like heavy bells of solid tissue. I was captivated by her sexual radiance. My sexual lust and my desire were at the peak level.

After her dancing-shift the miracle continued. She came to me! She had on a large low-cut blouse that all girls were wearing in that bar. I sat on a barstool and the girl stood right between my open legs. I put my hands around her waist and gently pulled her towards me. Her blouse allowed a generous view of her big breasts ... oh my goodness. It was heart attack time or should i say hard attack time. I was just sitting there, exploring her voluptuous body with my greedy randy hands, my cock as hard as steel, ready to splatter the ceiling. My lewdness was increased to infinity.

After the usual ceremony “Hello, sawasdee. What's your name? Where are you from? Work or holidays? How long do you stay here?†etc. the girl came to the point, she put the crucial question: “In which hotel do you stay?â€

„Oh, I stay in a hotel where lady visits are not allowed.“

„Are you kidding me?â€

„I want to go with you.“ and she added „I'm a good girl.“

„Yeah, I believe you“ I answered, „but tonight we cannot go together.“

“You stay in a hotel ladies visits are not allowed. Hahahaha. I don't believe you.â€

“You have lady in your room.â€

"No, no," I replied vehemently and I assured her that I stay in a hotel ladies visits are not allowed.

She teased and annoyed me at my misfortune that I put up at this stupid hotel of a muslim Indian.

I took her in my arms, kissed her passionately, my left arm was lying on her back with gentle pressure and my right hand explored her voluptuously curved body She offered a lot of fondling fun. My randy greedy hands groped and petted and fondled the sweet baby fat of her hips. Some minutes later my hand found its way into her blouse and my greedy hand started touching up and grabbing her big soft breasts. I was in boob heaven.

We spent a funny evening in her bar, drinking laughing, chatting, kissing, fondling.

The next morning I changed the hotel. The ladies at the reception, who know me very well for years, started grinning and giggling, making malicious remarks in Thai when I expressed my desire for a room with a king-size bed and a hard mattress.

I was embarrassed, blushed, and felt like a little school boy who was standing infront of his school principal because he has done something bad. But the lady receptionist turned with a polite smile to me and handed me the room key. And with a grave and serious facial expression she said to me:

“Khun Charly, have fun in our hotel. Feel fine and enjoy yourself.â€

The next three days and nights we celebrated a fuckfest.

Fucking and sleeping and fucking and sleeping. I lost 2-3 kilos.

"Let us think about the good old times of

the steeped in legend Thermae Coffee Shop

the legendary coffee shop of the GRACE Hotel Soi 3"

You missed one - the Thai Yonok Coffee Shop.

It was the other part of the freelancer troika. The Thai Yonok was a restaurant next to the old Erewan Hotel. It was torn down along with the nightlife area behind it when Sogo was built. In the 1970s, bars had to close at 1 PM. After that, the action moved to the Thermae, Thai Yonok or Grace. If I remember right, the coffee shops could stay open as late as they wanted.

p.s. To Dean and Mekong ... yes inflation is going wild right now. Prices are creeping up in the groceries and 7-Elevens week by week. You can notice it even in the local markets. But Thailand is still a bargain for expats, compared to the west. Unfortunately, it is a double whammy for expats, since the baht is getting stronger too. Still, the Thais are hurting much more than we are. If prices suddenly doubled, I would be angry. The Thais would be marching in the streets!

Archived