Anyone Remember The Good Old Days?

jw_marryrit

Oddly enough, I spent my first few nights in Thailand at the Siam Hotel - in March 1973. It was called the 'Little Siam' to distinguish it from the big Siam Intercontinental. The Siam was another of the hotels built for the GI days. I remember a lot of US airmen running around the place. "New Phetburi Road" - the extension past Pratunam - was not at all built up in the '70s. There were a few shophouses along the road, but right behind them it was all green - lots of fruit orchards. Phetburi Road was only two lanes wide and the sides were gravel. A bit different now!

The Siam didn't become a freelancer place until some time in the 1990s, and yes Thai oriented (though Farangs were welcome). By then the Thai Yonok had been bulldozed and the Arabs had taken over the Grace. The Siam also got bulldozed a few years ago.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p.s. To Dean and Mekong ... yes inflation is going wild right now. Prices are creeping up in the groceries and 7-Elevens week by week. You can notice it even in the local markets. But Thailand is still a bargain for expats, compared to the west. Unfortunately, it is a double whammy for expats, since the baht is getting stronger too. Still, the Thais are hurting much more than we are. If prices suddenly doubled, I would be angry. The Thais would be marching in the streets!

Flash,

I am not saying prices have doubled overnight but as you stated they have been creeping up slowly on a weekly basis over the past 5 years or so and as I previously stated Diesel has increased by over 70% and Cigarettes doubled in the same period.

A Brit Earning GBP 5000 in 2008 would be taking home 315,000 THB whereas today only 235,000 THB, even if salary increase of 5% PA over same period GBP 6382 or 300,000 THB so a 5% drop in take home pay even without considering the Cost of Living Increases.

It may still be a bargain but not as much as it used to be and IMHO somethings in Thailand cost more than the west now, i.e. Sunday Lunch Buffet 450 THB ++ That is GBP 11.20 in the UK only GBP 7.50, a small can of Tiger at 7-11 36 THB or 77 Pence UK price is 35 Pence, Internet Cheaper, Mobile Phones SP costs Cheaper, Car Purchase Cheaper, Property Rental about the same, Satellite TV Cheaper. I admit certain things are more expensive but overall I could have the same standard of living in the UK than I have in Thailand on the same money, but double my income.

Don't get me wrong I still love life in Thailand and will miss it whilst away but since I am in the prime of my life earnings capacity wise (45-55 years old) I would be a fool to not take advantage of the fact and "Crank up the Baht Machine" so to speak.

Kong

p.s. To Dean and Mekong ... yes inflation is going wild right now. Prices are creeping up in the groceries and 7-Elevens week by week. You can notice it even in the local markets. But Thailand is still a bargain for expats, compared to the west. Unfortunately, it is a double whammy for expats, since the baht is getting stronger too. Still, the Thais are hurting much more than we are. If prices suddenly doubled, I would be angry. The Thais would be marching in the streets!

We are lucky to be getting paid in Thai Baht, if all our income was from US Dollars...ouch!!!

Getting a few extra Baht at the end of the month makes a big difference!

Look at the cost of taking a taxi...hasn't changed much in the past few years but the price if LPG is up 50%.

Most foods at Big C/Tesco-Lotus are up 50% or more.

...but I still see the Thais taking a taxi, when I was taking the bus, so somehow, the Thais have $$$ :dunno:

I sometimes feel thais are stupid for taking multiple buses, songthews, motos to maybe save a few baht or even loose 10s of bahts if 2 or more persons together as a taxi would be cheaper & many times faster & more convenient from A to B!

e.g. 1 ac bus ~20bt * 2 pax = 40bt right there. then add songthaw say 6bt*2=12bt & maybe tuk tuk or moto for final route to home maybe another 10 or 20bt. thus almost ~70bt worth of taxi money that will get you pretty far in bkk! and dont even get started with bts/mrt fares!!!! peang mak

"Thais taking a taxi, when I was taking the bus, so somehow, the Thais have $$$"

.......back to G.O.D., Anyone remember the Frog Lady from Hollywood? And whatever happened to the Billy Idol bar manger? Did he run away with the frog lady :shocked:

Funniest scene (well one of) was when a frog escaped the dungeon and hopped around the bar. What is it with BGs and frogs? They're screaming, men laughing and trying to stomp the escapee.....meanwhile a high-pitched voice shouting in the background...."my fog, my fog.....where my fog..........."

Archived