Anyone Remember The Good Old Days?

jw_marryrit

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stated that living in Thailand "expats" particularly Brits get spoiled quickly. Salaries in the US are higher than salaries in the UK and accordingly, the standard of living in the US is higher than the UK. As evidence, I provided stats from the World Bank. The fellow with the bird moniker took offense and proceeded to spew insults on Americans.

Here are some facts:

Salary comparison between Members of Parliament in the UK versus US Congressman/Senators. MP earn 65,000 pounds sterling or roughly $100,000 versus $174,000 US Congressman/Senators.

That is roughly 3/4 of the US salary.

The Brits lost the American Revolutionary War. British newspapers reported that PM Blair was George W Bush's poodle.

Get over it!

I

Dexi my point exactly take a bow Sir.

On Paper ie HMRC declarations I will be earning USD 60,000 per annum, whereas in reality I will be closer to USD 225,000 per annum, the figures jon posted were based on tax returns and not true income. Why should I pay myself a big salary and incur 50% tax NI and corporate NIC's when as a Sole Director / Sole Shareholder I am allowed to draw from the Company directors dividends i.e. Profit after on 20% Corporation tax.

Company Pay for Accommodation CHECK

Company Pay for Vehicle Hire CHECK

Company pays for Corporate expenses CHECK

All of this comes out of the Company before profit is declared, it does not matter if a multinational or a one man band the same rules apply in the UK, as my old Tag Line used to say Know the Rules, Learn the Tricks, Play the Game, I am into Game Playing Mode now :)

I mentioned State and Federal Taxes in the US as well as Healthcare, I used to work / live in Houston TX so I am not grabbing figures out of nowhere and as you rightly said it is what is left in the bank at the end to each month is the bottom line.

Money to Spend on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzzWEeiUf3Y

Damn I may even get Cent involved in this thread with a VDO like that!

555555555. Noted and appreciated. But I have no monkey in this circus. Don't work in either country, ain't a CEO, and do wish the US had a decent free national health care system I could use when I go back each year. Now have my Veterans Admin health care card and that will cut some health care costs quite drastically if ever needed... and can be done in Manila at the VA hospital if needed without having to spend the money on a RT tix to the states and not have to endure the longer flight from hell there. Prettier nurses as well likely.

Once you start quoting elected representatives salaries as a comparison you are really losing the plot.

I found this interesting article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356 on Purchasing Power Parity it places USA third in the world with £3,263 / Month and UK fourth at $3,065 / Month, approx 95% so not much difference there.

What the survey misses out is "Self Employed" of which of which in my personal experience the UK tends to have a higher proportion of Skilled Professionals than in the USA. I have worked for Engineering Companies in the States and was surprised that everyone was a staff member whereas in the UK a minimum 25% of employees are freelance be it either Limited Company or Sole Trader which in my opinion also drives the UK figures down.

Anyone with any sense in the UK goes LTD Company / Sole Trader route, the days of a "Job for Life" are long gone so better to have your own company with your own Pension and Health Care under your own control, plus various expenses you can write off before tax. To be honest I would not bother getting out of bed for less than $4000 / Week let alone per month.

I am not going to be drawn into a slanging match with you, for all I know you may be a charming gent in real life, and guess what so may I. But your comment that "Brits are on a Fraction of USA Earnings" is just untrue, it's a fallacy that many Americans believe in.

So no mud slinging, name calling or personal insults from me, I have provided my data and if you wish to continue discussing in a civil manner then so am I.

Kong

Im sorry, was there a need to be insulting? Didn't you talk about civil discussion just a few days ago? Oh yes, here it is.....

[sNIP]

Interesting. I am mostly a research chemist. What do you do now?

Sorry Mr C,

I did not mean to be so sarcastic towards you, bad day and all that shit and the red mist came down and I became a 10 minute keyboard warrior, no offence intended and I hope you accept my apology.

I will tell you via PM what I do.

555555555. Noted and appreciated. But I have no monkey in this circus. Don't work in either country, ain't a CEO, and do wish the US had a decent free national health care system I could use when I go back each year. Now have my Veterans Admin health care card and that will cut some health care costs quite drastically if ever needed... and can be done in Manila at the VA hospital if needed without having to spend the money on a RT tix to the states and not have to endure the longer flight from hell there. Prettier nurses as well likely.

Glad to to be of entertainment value Sir,

Good to know that there are other weirdo's out there who appreciate Zappa damn even our lass asked me to download "That Weird Shit you Listen to" onto her iPad, she now has 78 Zappa Albums at her disposal. Unfortunately I only ever got to see play live once back in 1977 in Manchester UK but Captain Beefheart did join them that night so I still remember it as if it was only last week.

Joe's Garage in '79 from where your board name comes from was so funny. I was 15 at the time and had just been thrown out of a band since they were getting gig's at places that that an alcohol licence and strict "No Under 18's rule" so I hooked up with another group of mates to form a band, we rehearsed in one of the guy's parents garage and his Father was called Joe, so we were a garage band playing in Joe's Garage. The only Artist to come close to Zappa in recent years is Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails).

Back to the thread, I am not anti-American, I get along with most people irrelivent of Creed, Race or Sexuality but when jon46 posted "Especially the Brits who are on a fraction of Americans" I found that comment rather condescending and backed it up with data I posted at 22:00, there is not that much difference between Purchasing Power Parity between the two nations. As much as the UK has it's free healthcare I would rather take my chance in a Thai government hospital today the NHS is severely overloaded by the number of immigrants we have had to inherit from Eastern Europe, it's a shambles and I for one will stick to my private health insurance. Both countries have their collective advantages and disadvantages and one is no better than the other in my opinion.

If I ever get to Surin I will sure look you up but seriously considering relocating to Lampung (Near CM) once I finish the project in the UK so Isaan will be well off my radar.

Take care Bro

Kong

Back to the thread topic.

Who can recall the bar line-up at Nana in the late 1980s? Nothing on the ground or top floors, and only (?) DC10, Sexy Nights, Hog's Breath, Farang Connection and Woodstock on the middle floor. I can remember meeting a pensioner called Flashermac there, but not much else.

Archived