Bloody Hell Shopping In Thailand Is Expensive!

waerth

If I had to do it on 30K a month, I sure as hell wouldn't try to do it in BKK. I know rents on Suk aren't representative of what most locals pay, but everything from a slice of watermelon on up seems to be more expensive than it is out in the provinces. Granted, trying to live without BKK's transport grid would mean buying a motorbike or car (yeah ..), but them's the breaks.

For a tourist town, I consider the base cost of living in Patts to be cheaper than BKK, but the constant temptation of the nightlife would prove too much for me. Who sits at home watching Thai soaps while there is a constant party 200 metes down the street ? OK, other than Mekong, who does that ? :neener:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, other than Mekong, who does that ? :neener:

Me :neener: :neener:

...and for the past 12 months have been living on less than 30k a month.....admittedly not in Bangkok, but spent almost 3 months there during my hospital treatment.....just a tad different lifestyle to 4 or 5 years ago....555

Not surprising that by not smoking or drinking or partaking of the gash for cash options, my monthy expenses took a severe nose dive....LOL

Let me assure you that there is much more to do than become a victim of Thai soaps....and NO I have not become a born again wowser

Life is good

Cheers DS

"government teachers are about the lowest paid position (with a fixed salary), they usually try to find a farang bf

police have a very low salary, too - they usually find ways to improve their income"

NOPE

Used to be the case, but recently in the last few years they have doubled the MoE Teachers salaries, a teacher in charge of a subject up to 60K, head Masters up to 90K +Farangs get from 30K to 50K as a few mates are on,

The real lark is the loans the teachers can get,

Cars are hugely expensive still

"Farangs get from 30K to 50K as a few mates are on."

The government base pay has not changed since 1992. We all make more because we do EXTRA teaching (evenings or weekends). Government pay is so low that many universities add to it from their own funds. Otherwise they couldn't get anyone halfway qualified. Only time I have brought in over 50,000 is when I was fortunate enough to pick up an international course at 2,000 an hour - which is rare. But no one should have to do extra work to get by.

" they have doubled the MoE Teachers salaries" They would be delighted if that were true! The oldest teachers are probably making 20 to 25 K, new teachers not even half of that. My Mrs makes over 30 K, but that is with a PhD and 3 decades of teaching. She is a C-8. Most teachers never get above C-7. It is not loans the teachers get. They draw on their future pay, which is a dangerous thing to do. Some are struggling on what they have left after they borrowed from their pay to buy a house or car.

We have two Thai delivery drivers and they get about 8000/month, which is a good

salary for Samut Sakhon.

Office secretaries, if they are a real secretary (good at what they do), 8000 ~ 10000 / month

8000 would be very low in Bkk

if they r good at what they do they make at least 10000-12000

Archived