Australians Charged With Attempted Murder: Miss ‘Mafia’ Target, Shoot German Tourists

Flashermac

PHUKET: Two Australian tattoo parlor owners have been charged with attempted murder after opening fire with an unregistered firearm in the heart of Phuket’s party town, Patong, yesterday evening.

John Cohen, 32 and Adam Shea, 26 shot two German bystanders in their attempt to “strike first†against an alleged Danish mafioso, named by police only as “Dannieâ€.

“This is not a complicated case at all,†said Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Arun Kleawwatee. “The suspects, afraid that they would be attacked by a party that they were in conflict with, decided to strike first.â€

Patong Police apprehended the two suspects within an hour of the 7:30pm shooting.

“We quickly arrested the suspects at the tattoo shop they are both partners in on Bangla Road,†Col Arun said.

CCTV footage shows Mr Cohen and Mr Shea walking into many hotels along the street and asking for the receptionist for Dannie, Col Arun explained.

“That’s when they spotted Dannie leaving the hotel on a motorbike. Both of them ran out of the hotel, and one of them opened fire with .38 handgun. However, they missed Dannie and hit two German tourists [in front of the Family Mart],†he added.

Both parties were expected to show up in court yesterday to resolve a dispute about a “big bike†worth about 300,000 baht. Dannie did not come to the hearing, Col Arun said.

During police questioning, Mr Cohen told police Dannie had sent a group of mafia men to his Phuket home.

“He used to live in Pattaya before moving here. I was afraid he would shoot me since he did not show up at court. So me and my friend decided to make a move first,†Mr Cohen told police.

Both suspects have been charged with attempted murder and for the illegal possession of a firearm.

Police are now scouring the island for Dannie.

The two tourists injured by the stray bullets fired in Soi San Sabai off of Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Road were taken to Patong Hospital.

“Johann Baschenegger, 42 and Joseph Woerner, 71, were both shot in the arm,†Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan said.

Mr Baschenegger arrived in Phuket around midnight on January 21.

“My friend, Joseph, arrived before me. We were hanging out in front of the hotel when we both were shot in the arm,†Mr Baschenegger said.

Col Chiraphat expressed his concern about how detrimental such an incident could be to Phuket’s vital tourism industry. :shakehead

“The suspects opened up fire in the middle of a dense tourism area and injured two innocent people. They have seriously tarnished Thailand’s reputation and must face the highest penalties under the law,†Col Chiraphat said.

This most recent episode of gun violence in tourism regions of Thailand falls on the heels of British national Stephen Ashton, 22, being shot dead by a stray bullet at a New Year's Eve beach party on Koh Pha-ngan, near Koh Samui.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Australians-charged-with-attempted-murder-miss-mafia-target-shoot-German-tourists-20038.html

The Aussies illegally possessed a firearm. Thailand needs to pass laws to make it illegal to possess weapons illegally.

How about background checks on people coming into the country ? Even the 'Visa on Arrival' system gives Thai Immigration the option to refuse entry - they have the flight manifests - clearly, its just too much work to vet everyone, but I suspect its more about the tourist dollar. One wit commented recently that half the Farang population of Patts would be refused entry if they ran background checks - I wonder what proportion of Phuket arrivals would suffer the same fate ?

Good to see Thailand getting more *** quality *** tourists :surprised:

True, but I dont expect anything else to come out of Phuket. Thai or Farang, its a magnet for scumbags, and it would appear that EVERYONE leaves their brain at the airport / ferry terminal. Sayjann clearly loves the place, but he can have it.

I'd say the fact you were all facing the same enemy and could have died together had more to do with how well you all got along. That and the fact you would have been relying on each other to get out of the shit - rather than the fact you all had guns.

True, but I dont expect anything else to come out of Phuket. Thai or Farang, its a magnet for scumbags, and it would appear that EVERYONE leaves their brain at the airport / ferry terminal. Sayjann clearly loves the place, but he can have it.

yes i do like the place.

i know the place very well and while i've had the odd unpleasant experience,they are normally easily avoided

like any place in the world it's just a case of trying to keep your wits about you.

but on this occasion 2 innocent bystanders getting hurt is unfortunate,you can't legislate for that sort of thing.

wrong place at the wrong time.......

Archived