Proxy Server For Email

gawguy

I need to hide my IP address when conducting business from LOS with certain people. It would be best if my emails appeared to originate from the Americas or Europe.

I have the vaguest knowledge of proxy servers. Is that what I would use?

I was just looking at something that seemed like a proxy server, but then it asked me to download something so I stopped until I could find out more.

I'd appreciate any help that could get me into this safely.

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

A proxy server will NOT hide your identity from any law enforcement or government entity any more. Nor will it be very effective from anyone with a modicum of tech skill.

Thanks for response. I need to clarify a couple of things:

1) I'm not trying to hide anything from law enforcement of government. I am concerned about some difficult people I exchange email with during the course of business.

2) I'm not trying to hide my identity. I AM trying to hide my location.

Thanks, Gaw Guy

Just use a program like a remote desktop, or Teamviewer. Then log into your home computer and you can work like you were there.

Have your computer only on a UPC, one that you can remotely reboot if needed (or have someone who can do for you).

Thanks for suggestion. I was headed in a similar direction. I don't quite understand this phrase: "Have your computer only on a UPC..." I looked up UPC and think you could mean Uplink Power Control ?? Maybe I'm not understanding at all. Sounds interesting though. Could you point me towards an example of specific hardware?

Or could the computer I would use to send the email just be left on standby and somehow activated? Problem is, my computers require a physical key press to wake up.

Thanks..GG

Yes, UPS, not UPC. And "only the computer" meaning don't plug in the monitor, printers, etc.. - but do plug in the router or whatever you need to connect to the internet.

Try Teamviewer, free for personal use - if your remoting into a desktop, it should work - but if into a laptop then yes, normally laptops will sleep if not used for a certain time.

Archived