Ipad Repair

chelseafan

Are you on UK or BKK?

Loads of places in MBK do screen replacement for a reasonable price not that I have dropped mine too often and cracked the screen.

I did have an old 3GS repaired last week, (she threw it at me in a temper fit) Home button, Power Button and a new Battery, 1,500 Baht and one hour later I walked out with a new phone.

I am begining to wonder if this is a Thai trait, Thai women in my experience always throw things in a fit of temper. All I did was reformat the phone and she thought that I had lost all of her data hence her hissy fit, within 10 minutes of getting the repaired phone home everything was back in place from my Time Capsule.

Honestly on some occasions I don't believe that Thai females have the brains they were born with, on the plus side she admitted she was wrong and paid for the repairs. DOH did she not think I have a back up of everything.

Hi,

Hmm, maybe you can help me with an iPhone problem as well then.

My wife bought an iPhone 4S a while back, used it for a bit, then bought an iPhone 5 and gave the 4S to her daughter. Both have been using the phones for a bit again and yesterday my wife updated her phone to the latest version of iOS. At some point during that process (in Thai of course) all her contacts were replaced with those from her daughter's phone.

Any idea how to undo this?

Sanuk!

It sounds like your wife Synched her iPhone 5 to iTunes using the old 4S info, iTunes will show the phone serial number.

With OSX / iCloud / Time capsule it is simple to recover but to be honest I am not sure how to go about it with windows. There will be a version of iTunes linked to the iPhone 5 but not being a windows person I could not tell you where to look for it.

Hi,

I think the problem is worse. My guess (won't be able to confirm until her daughter comes back) is that on her daughter still uses my wife's ID for iCloud but her own ID for the appstore (why even have 2 places where you can enter this?).

Will switch the phones to English tonight and have a look, but my guess is that she's lost all her contacts.

I know I am biased, but it is this kind of shit why I dislike Apple products. They keep saying how easy everything is, but it is also bloody easy to fuck things up as way too much stuff is convoluted or automated to the point where you don't have a clue what exactly it is doing.

Sanuk!

Separate accounts for iCloud and App Store are stupid IMHO, I use the same for both but if the option was not available there would be even more complaints about Apples "Walled Garden"

I must admit that if you are using multiple iDevices then one does need to take care over account names in order to stop these type of fuck ups. I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad 3 iPhone 4S and my renovated 3GS, the wife has my Macbook Air, iPad Mini and an iPhone 4S and they are all linked to the Time Capsule. I have my own username password for my devices and she has hers for her own.

Using iTunes you have the option of restoring from iCloud or from Computer, as long as the phone name and serial number is correct a Manual Restore Back up should recover your wifes contact list from the computer as well as SMS and emails, I know this works with Apple not sure how it works with Windows.

The information will be backed up on your wifes PC but probably not in contacts. Do a search on known names / numbers then copy the root directory into contacts then import to iTunes. Data is never lost it is just sometimes well hidden.

Good Luck and if you fail in your endeavours lets just hope she does not throw the phone at you !

Hi,

Had a look at the daughter's phone and it is using my wife's ID for iCloud and set to backup contacts, etc. No way to change the ID there :(

We'll be taking both phones to the shop she bought them tomorrow.

Update: Just tried iTunes and with a restore from my PC I was able to get her contacts back. The main issue of both phones using the same AppleID for iCloud is of course still there, but at least she's got her contacts back - and I got a thank you instead of a phone to my face :)

For the time being I've told her to absolutely NOT use iCloud as I am sure that would pull her daughter's contacts back again.

Considering doing a full backup to my PC of both phones, then wiping her daughter's, set it up with her own AppleID and somehow get her contacts on it again. Fuck knows if that is possible though.

Sanuk!