Ipad Repair

chelseafan

Hi,

Had a look at the daughter's phone and it is using my wife's ID for iCloud and set to backup contacts, etc. No way to change the ID there :(

We'll be taking both phones to the shop she bought them tomorrow.

Update: Just tried iTunes and with a restore from my PC I was able to get her contacts back. The main issue of both phones using the same AppleID for iCloud is of course still there, but at least she's got her contacts back - and I got a thank you instead of a phone to my face :)

For the time being I've told her to absolutely NOT use iCloud as I am sure that would pull her daughter's contacts back again.

Considering doing a full backup to my PC of both phones, then wiping her daughter's, set it up with her own AppleID and somehow get her contacts on it again. Fuck knows if that is possible though.

Sanuk!

Go to settings/iCloud and tap delete account. This only deletes the iCloud from your iPhone. It will give the option to save iCloud Contacts and Calendar on the iPhone. You can then login to iCloud using another email id or create a new .me email account.

• Like 1

Are you on UK or BKK?

Loads of places in MBK do screen replacement for a reasonable price not that I have dropped mine too often and cracked the screen.

I did have an old 3GS repaired last week, (she threw it at me in a temper fit) Home button, Power Button and a new Battery, 1,500 Baht and one hour later I walked out with a new phone.

Going to be in BKK/Pattaya next week, it would cost me a bomb to get it done in the UK

• 2 years later...

I ended up bringing two IPads with me this time for repair; one that my 7 year old had dropped and cracked the screen. The other is an IPad 4 that I bought off of EBay. It had a shattered screen (which I had repaired at MBK the day I arrived) and it had been disabiled before I bought it (from someone trying too many wrong passwords). I was able to have someone remove the disabiled message but, it turns out that it has been locked by find my IPad (of course, the seller when I bought the IPad said the IPad had been disabiled but not locked). I'll be back in Bangkok for a full day this coming Tuesday. Is there any place there that can unlock it? If not, I'll take it back to the U.S. and contact the seller and probably get EBay involved.

I'd be more than happy to return it, if Apple would relay to previous owner that I have their IPad. But, from what I understand, Apple won't do that. Apple certainly won't give me the name and address of previous owner. The problem with returning it to EBay seller is whether I would get paid back for installing new screen (and the purchase price in EBay.). From what I've read on the internet, it's very hard to give back IPads, unless Find My IPad was turned on and there is a note on the screen with a phone number. I'm open to suggestions on how to get this IPad back to its rightful owner.

Give it to the police! They can locate the owner. Do not give it back to the seller! Get a receipt from the police when you turn it in.

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT204315

Contact the seller for a refund. Show him photos and a receipt as proof of the repair. If the seller is resistant get eBay involved. You have leverage because selling stolen items is a crime.

This is a way to check for stolen Apple products before buying,

http://t2.thai360.co...10#entry1431912

Apple’s new online tool could help prospective buyers determine if the device was stolen or lost even if it was unlocked with unofficial tools, because the IMEI/Serial Number check is done against Apple’s real Activation Lock database.

The person that I bought the IPad from on EBay lives in Fresno, Ca. Should I contact Fresno police or my hometown police in KC? I would think that there is a better chance that the original owner is near Fresno (unless the EBay seller is a big time fence, as has stolen IPads shipped to him from around the country). I could be wrong but I don't think that solving Apple thievery is high on police matters and, if I turned in the IPad, it would sit for a long time before the police would get around to solving this case. I think that my best bet is to contact AppleCare and see if the IPad was ever reported stolen, or whether it is just lost. In either case, I'll try to pass on my name and phone number to Apple to forward to owner. If that doesn't work, I'll contact police with the ID and registration numbers. Unless I'm given 100% assurances that I will be re-imbursed for the $135 that I'm out to date, the IPad will remain in my possession. If I get EBay involved, I'll do that immediately after getting home. I believe that buyers have 90 days to file with EBay and I bought it the first week in April.

Go through your local police dept. It will only take them a few minutes to determine the status of the iPad. File a police report and get a copy. You can use that to get a charge back on your CC.

You missed red flags, so just consider any monetary loss the cost of education.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on the IPad. I brought it back to the U.S. Yesterday, I took it to an Apple Store and the manager told me she could not give me any information about the previous owner. She did say that, if I brought in a receipt from the peron that sold me the IPad, Apple would check it out and if valid, would unlock IPad for me to use. Today, I contacted the seller in Fresno, Ca. And he told me that he worked for a pawnbroker. If the pawnbroker had an Apple product that took too much time to repair, this man put the item on EBay. He didn't think that the pawnbroker would have a sales receipt but would check. I realize that he could be telling the truth or he could be part of a theft ring of IPads. I assume that there are a lot of people that pawn their IPads/IPhones and immediately turn on the "find my IPad" feature or lock their iCloud, so I may or may not have a "hot" IPad. My bank allows 60 days to file a dispute on a charge, so they won't be any help. I did pay through PayPal, and they allow up to 180 days, so if I take it to the police and find out that it was reported as stolen, at least I can get back the purchase price of $75, but not the cost of replacing the screen. I'll give the pawnbroker a week to come up with the receipt and, if he doesn't, go to the police.