How Far Are You Willing To Walk?

unit731

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually walk quite a lot, grab a cab to a certain area then just get out and walk. You see so much more find some quaint little eateries and meet interesting people, I must admit I spend more time sat "People Watching" than actually walking but I have fun all the same.

9 times out of 10 it is quicker for me to walk to Lumpini Park than take a cab given the traffic on Sathorn and the police traffic control at Rama IV, I actually enjoy walking around certain areas of Bangkok and taking life in at a slow pace.

Hi,

I think I'd walk a lot more if I didn't sweat so much :(

Having decent sidewalks would help as well. I find that in many places the sidewalk is either messed up, taken up by streetvendors or just plain non-existing :(

What I would really like though is if I could ride a bicycle around town, but heat and traffic kinda dissuade me from that notion.

Sanuk!

Hi,

What I would really like though is if I could ride a bicycle around town,

Sanuk!

If we didn't know you were Dutch you have just proven it with that statement.

A good friend of mine is from Groningen and it does not matter if it is minus 10C outside he will still go out on his bike for an hour or so. In the 6 months a year he spends in Thailand he lives up at Nontaburi and is out on his bike every day as is known locally as "The Mad Cloggy".

One thing I don't get, he is from Holland yet has a Mountain Bike!

Depends.

Have been known to lose complete days walking around Klong Thom/ Yawarat/ Pahurat discovering hidden-away places to eat/ shop. Madness to drive around there anyway, and will take a tuktuk back (at least as far as Hualampong) as that is the only form of viable transport out of there.

Will walk up to a km to avoid extortinate motorsai taxis - I often take a minibus instead of driving, and a motorsai at a drop-off point next to the minibus stop will cost 40 baht whereas if I walk less than a kilometer back the slightly shorter journey will cost 15 baht. I don't begrudge the blighters of their hard-earned, but get annoyed when it goes up from 25 baht to 40 overnight and avoid it on principle.

As it is early in the morning I get a bit of exercise in for free too.

I like to walk to the market - about 10 minutes - add another 7 if to Foodland. But I will take the motorsai if I'm coming back after dark as there are too many soi dogs to feel comfortable...

Otherwise I'm with Flash; I'm getting older so will take the easier option as long as it does not mean sitting in traffic for too long.

Archived