How Far Are You Willing To Walk?

unit731

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre sky train, I used to walk from my hotel on Suk to the end of Silom,near the river. Once, I decided to take a boat ride on a klong and it stopped around the Armari Watergate. I walked the rest of the way to the palace area. I very rarely take a taxi while in Bangkok but take the skytrain and underground. It goes back to my days of travelling in Europe and getting screwed by taxi drivers, particularly while in France.

Does walking in the Army count?

Yes, the good old days. Walked somewhere between 5 - 10 klicks every day. Sometimes up and down mountains. A couple times in Laos (but that was a secret). And at least once per day carrying abut 70 -100 pounds or thereabouts. I was also weighted about 70 lbs. - or 5 stone - less - back then.

II Corps! I was in the Tri-Border area - Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos.

Longest we walked was sweeping the road between Kontum and Dak To every day, 30 miles apart. C Co came north and we moved south, meeting them in the middle. Blazing sun and no cover, not a lot of fun. Got sniped at now and then, but it beat being in the infantry.

Many years ago (too many I care to remember), I visited my friend, an expat working in Bangkok, and I

stayed at his apt on Sukhumvit 46. One day, I walked from his apt to Silom road around Rama IV where Jim Thompson's shop was located.

I now know only fools like tourists (farang) would walk such a long distance in the hot sun and pollution. Thai know better and would use (back then) tuk tuks, taxis (back then, taxis did

not have meters) buses for a small amount of money!

While I am older today, I would never walk great distances in

Bangkok. On the other hand, about a year ago, I walked from Road 3 from a hotel that was closer to the bus station to walking street in Pattaya. When it is not too hot, it is ok.

Archived