Hotels That Are Gone.

unit731

Off topic:

Late 1980s: what was the name of that outdoor restaurant built over a large pond, all dishes delivered by uniformed waiters on roller skates; fishes went wild for bread chucked in from the walkway bridges? Central-ish BKK, but I'm darned if I can remember where.

OP: Imperial was the first hotel I stayed at.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's it! It was allegedly the world's largest restaurant. Says 2bangkok.com ...

"The April 2001 issue of Sawasdee (Thai Airways' inflight magazine) reminded readers that Bangkok has the largest restaurant in the world, Tam Nak Thai. The problem is that the restaurant was closed five years ago. When the lease ran out on the land, the owners opened a Chinese restaurant, the Golden Dragon, on Bang-na Trat Highway.

Tam Nak Thai was then razed and the land sat vacant until 2001 when a gigantic Carrefour was constructed. This "world's record restaurant" still appears on many websites and we have no doubt that careless free-lance travel writers will keep the phantom Tam Nak Thai alive for some time."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The "little Siam" on New Petchburi Road, so called to distinguish it from the Siam Intercontinental. The Siam was an R&R hotel, later to become notorious as a pick up place. Torn down a few years ago, as was the Siam Intercontinental, with its beautiful grounds now covered with concrete.

Siam Intercon was awesome. What a shame what they did to that property.

The Siam Hotel "lives on" in that there are always (pretty seriously hot, on weekends anyway) streetwalkers plying their trade on the road that runs behind the ex-location (Khampaeng Phet 7? -- dunno, I just call it "chicken street"). Universal uniform is spaghetti strap bare midriff top and "Daisy Duke" shorts...I always make it a point to take that street if out driving about after 2200 or so any night LOL!

I noticed that my "home-away-from-home" (as in, when my company was putting me up for x=six months while looking for a suitable condo and arranging moving of the family from Japan): the Pan Pacific at Rama IV & Silom. It is now something else (can't be arsed to see what that is). I like Pan Pacs, a small (boutique when that meant something) very luxury hotel. On the exec floors, you got your own butler, 24/7. Used to anyway. But whatever, another company has taken it over, so it cannot be the same.

And the Oriental is just not the same anymore since the renamed it to the Mandarin Oriental, making it like all their other properties. Booo! Hiss!

Is the Malaysia Hotel still around? THAT was a classic, for many other reasons (as in, it was the Grace/Nana before they were what they are). Talk about changing the subject LOL! http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com . I guess it is...I wonder what it is like nowadays?

Archived