Hand Caught In The Wallet

Gadfly

I think most here are familiar with the massage parlors on that small soi between Soi 24 and 26 (closer to Soi 26). I suspect that naming the place would be frowned upon (think green and what a doctor recommends you eat once a day), but today, while exiting the shower, I caught one the staff with my wallet open and a 1,000 Baht note in her hand. She screamed, dropped the wallet and the bill, and I scooped up both. Let's just say that ruined the moment. Although wet, I was able to dress and get out of the room and downstairs faster than her (Thai women don't dress quickly). I complained to the management, but their response was: "no harm, no foul." In other words, since she hadn't actually been successful in her larceny, I had nothing to complain about. No refund of course, and I didn't press the issue, since there was guy Thai there within about two minutes with his hand in his jacket. No idea what, if anything, he had in his jacked, but figured it wasn't worth finding out. The most annoying part of this is the absolute impunity of the perpetrators.

Never had this sort of thing happen there before, but lesson learned.

I've only been stung once, years ago. Trink recommended a new bar in Patpong and advised us to "check it out". He said the owner was the daughter of an old friend.

Well, I did. I had a couple of beers and was presented with a bill for something like 1500 baht. (This was the 1980s, when beer ran around 40 to 45 baht in gogo bars.) I asked what was going on. They said, "For the show." I said there wasn't any damned show. By then 3 or 4 goons had gathered around glaring at me. I'd been warned by the owner of Rififi never to tangle with Patpong bouncers, since they usually carried guns or knives. I paid up and stomped out, looking for the Tourist Police. Not a one was to be found. My night was ruined, so I headed for home.

The next day I called up Trink and bent his ear but good. (We knew each other slightly.) It turned out he also got complaints from others about the same thing. The next week he apologised and withdrew his recommendation, advising everyone to avoid the place. That was all that ever happened. The police never raised a finger to stop it, though the bar died a natural death in a few months.

Fortunately, this wasn't quite so bad. I don't know if the management was in out it (I suspect not), but they way the responded - totally defensive - says something about Thailand generally and this place specifically. Since the management is more concerned about face than having thieves as employees, its best avoided.

The clientele is mostly Japanese and maybe they put up with this stuff. No idea. Perhaps this is the Apple of some Japanese venture in Thailand. But irrespective, this should be shared. We're all in this together, and candid information is our best - our only real - defense.

This is the first time I have seen this in either a Japanese or foreign place. I am not keen on trudging back to this place and making scene, but I will give it a a thought. If its happened to me, but presumably happens to others. The local management were not threatening, but took the attitude that since she was caught and not able to take anything nothing happened. That sort of attitude not only rubs against the grain, but creates a perverse incentive for girls to do this. If they caught, nothing happens. If they don't get caught, the come out a thousand or so Baht richer.

You handled it correctly.

Personally I think this type of thing happens less in Japanese places. If they have a phone number for Japanese customers to call or a Japanese manager you should let them know.

i have a similar story to Mr.Flash.

the only time i have ever entered an upstairs bar in Patpong i never saw the floorshow promised and protested about the high bill for 1 beer and a coke.

immediately approached by 4 guys who were very menacing.

i was naive and refused to pay the bill,but my gal was nervous and paid herself and got us out of there.

of course i paid her back so i did pay in the end.

only my 3rd trip to LOS and i think the 2nd time i ever visited a bar in BKK.

funny though,never experienced this kind of situation on Phuket......

This is the first time I have seen this in either a Japanese or foreign place. I am not keen on trudging back to this place and making scene, but I will give it a a thought. If its happened to me, but presumably happens to others. The local management were not threatening, but took the attitude that since she was caught and not able to take anything nothing happened. That sort of attitude not only rubs against the grain, but creates a perverse incentive for girls to do this. If they caught, nothing happens. If they don't get caught, the come out a thousand or so Baht richer.

I wonder if there would be a similar understanding by staff at BKK airport shops if an attempt was made by a farang to nick something.....

Archived