Bringing Prescription Meds To Los

Redbaron

Morning lads,

I know it has been asked before, but I have done a search and found nothing recent, and we all know laws can change quite frequently.

This upcoming trip I'm bringing the Good Lady, and she's on a few medications. Most I know she can bring into LOS with a script, some she could probably bring without one..

One of the essentials in Immigraine - which is a strong anti Migraine pill. It's prescription only, and obviously she'll have a copy of the script from her doc.

Any dramas bringing it in?

I have no personal experience with bringing in prescription medication so take this info I found at face value only.

The law does not require you to stop and disclose them.. The law does require some narcotics to have a permit issued by Thai authorities, however, that tends to be very much in the minority.

Like most countries, Thailand is very sensitive to the classic licit narcotics and other patently illegal drugs.

However, they are also becoming much more aware of the sale and import of some *legal* drugs that also happen to contain substances that can be used (improperly) to then manufacture other illicit drugs, or what's known as pre-cursor drugs that may contain things like pseudo-ephedrine.

So,... just be sure whatever you're bringing in isn't patently against Thai law and whatever you do have is supported in some manner by documentation.

Overall, they tend to be very reasonable in this regard. Where you will run into troubles is if there is an appearance you are attempting to import substances for resale or have items that are either illegal or restricted/controlled commodities.

Not a problem at all as long as you have the original Script and / or a covering letter from the doctor who issed the script explaining what the medication was for, hey if he charges AUSD 5 so be it will save you hassle. I am not saying that all customs officials can read English but most can so documents in English will be OK no need for Thai translation.

One piece of advice I will offer is to ensure that any Prescription Medication bought into Thailand, or any country for that matter, is in its original unopened / sealed packaging so customs officials can confirm that the contents comply with the paperwork and have not been tampered with (an old drug smuggling trick) any medication she may require for the duration of the trip take from the exisiting home Medication and carry what is required in a small pill box, just dispose of any unused unpakage med's before hitting customs checkpoint. Apart from that everything will be fine.

Morning lads,

I know it has been asked before, but I have done a search and found nothing recent, and we all know laws can change quite frequently.

This upcoming trip I'm bringing the Good Lady, and she's on a few medications. Most I know she can bring into LOS with a script, some she could probably bring without one..

One of the essentials in Immigraine - which is a strong anti Migraine pill. It's prescription only, and obviously she'll have a copy of the script from her doc.

Any dramas bringing it in?

the only time i had to take meds into LOS was when i needed to inject Clexane.

i carried 2 pre-prepared syringes along with a sharps container for their disposal.

i carried letters from my 2 Consultants and my GP explaining all the facts(and copies translated into Thai) and made no effort to hide anything.

carried everything in my small rucksack which and the drugs would have been in full view if i was searched.

but i saw no reason to divulge any info that i was carrying important meds.

but if found then i would have been honest as i needed the meds,shown the documents.

i may have been naive in thinking all would have been ok but i had nothing to hide.

Archived