Cheap Charlie

bust

I hear this loosely thrown around in conversation. From the girls, staff, punters.

I recently had a conversation with someone about what constitutes the "Cheap Charlie" label. Seems to me that if you don't recklessly throw money around you cop the label.

Now if I am in a bar simply to drink, catch up with a mate etc: and I am not buying lady drinks I am CC. But the thing is these girls are there to work...conduct business. So if I am not shopping I am not going to invest in them. I will buy the service girl, mamasan even the cashier drinks.

Interested to hear others thoughts, experiences or examples.

post-6949-0-38729100-1360470618_thumb.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lady drinks are ridiculously high. I used to have a system where I'd offer a BG either 50 baht or a lady drink. Since the bar only gave the girls about 20 baht per LD, they'd choose the money. But too many bar owners are wise to that. The BGs shake their head and say "no can do". The boss will fire them if they are caught. :nono:

I can understand why they ask for them though. Most bars have a lady drink quota for the girls. If they don't get enough lady drinks per week, the difference is taken out of their pay! The same hold true with the bar fine. :surprised:

I'll buy a drink for a girl who sits with me for some time. I am not going to pay for all of her friends!

The CC label IMHO is a very useful device used to try to compel us customers to spend in their establishments. Who in the world wants to be mistaken for a Cheap Charlie when in fact most customers see themselves as quite kind and free spending with their cash?

Personaly speaking, the way I deal with this soft attack is to agree and claim " I am Cheap Charlie #1."

In a bar setting I like to offer a drink of her choice, instead of a LD. This usually leads the girl to order a Breezer. Even though Breezers cost more than LDs, at least they are consumed. As a customer I prefer a girl to consume her drink rather than letting it sit in front of her as a prop. Also, the fact that she is drinking a more expensive drink will confer more "face" to her in front of her peers.

Regarding the quotas for drinks and barfines, I am afraid that is a very dark subject indeed. Beside there being a monthly quota for each BG for BFs and LDs, there are the assorted nicks and cuts administered by the mamasan against the BG's monthly salary. Deductions against the salary, beside not reaching their monthly quota, are usually transgressions like lateness, absences, or damages caused by that girl's sponsor or BF. BTW, this salary is usually paid about one week into the following month, so if the girl wants to quit after receiving her salary she usually loses the week or so she works in the new month.

Whenever a LD is served a postage stamp sized voucher is given to the BG. This voucher must be presented to the mamasan in order to receive the 20THB commission. If the girl loses one of these stamps, she is out the commission. Many times the mamasan will not pay commissions to the BGs except after many weeks have passed, when some of these vouchers have been lost. In well run bars the commissions are paid daily, but that is the exception, not te rule. The girls will use these commissions for their daily living expenses.

Different experiences in Huahin in the beerbars.

girls get 40 THB commission per drink, and those are dutyfully noted in a book by the cashier.

next day mamasan pays every girl out who is present, yes on daily basis.

salary last day of the month, no quota no salary cuts.

YMMV of course.

BB

It still ammuses me that 99% of thai women thing every farang has a bulging bank account. I try to explain often that some guys work 50 weeks of the year, make sacrifices and save very cent they can just so they can spend 2 weeks in LOS and live like a king. But most.......mai kao jai :banghead:

Yes, they think all farang have mountains of cash.

I tried to explain, that yes, wages are higher in farang-land, but so are taxes, living costs, etc....would have been

more productive to explain the financial situation in farang-land to a box of rocks! They have no idea and thus

cannot comprehend :dunno:

Back in the GI days in LOS, every BG hoped to marry a "rich GI" and live happily in a magical place called America. Many did. Those whose husband stayed in the USAF were all right. Those whose guy got out often had a rude surprise. I met a Thai wife and her children on a train going up north. She was on a visit home to Uttaradit and told me her husband was a coal miner in West Virginia. Every time her children opened their mouths, I had to shake my head in disbelief - an Appalachian accent coming from half-Thai kids.

Archived