Cheap Charlie

bust

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a “Cheap Charlie†story I observed first hand Thanksgiving 2012. (Names are being withheld because many board members know some of these people) One of the bars in the Queens Park Plaza Soi 22 was having a FREE Thanksgiving event for all that wanted to come. Being a regular there my friends and I loaded up and went to the bar at 13:00 when they opened to spend money and show support. Dinner was being served at 19:00 and there was a beautiful full spread of American and Thai food. :p

Here’s the CC part, about 18:30 the balloon chasers showed up :_party: circling the table like a flock of vultures most ordering water, soft drinks

OR NOTHING. I overheard one of the patrons say “this was the only day of the year he came to the bar.†:wanker: So at 19:00 a few nice words were spoken by the owner and the feeding frenzy begins in earnest (of course after the owner had chased some eager beavers away trying to eat early.) Then the biggest CC action of the day, every day at this bar happy hour ends at 19:00 this day was no different. I watched a REGULAR customer I see in there at least 3 time a week go on a tirade because he had to pay full price for a drink while stuffing his face with FREE FOOD! :angryfire: I was so ashamed I left because of the way people were acting. :nono:

These actions are what Cheap Charlie’s are to me. :soapbox::stirthepo

S1

Once upon a time during the notorious Nanapong Dance Contests, the guys paying for them decided to pass around a plastic bucket to accept donations. The DC's cost the guys a lot out of their own pockets, even as much as 100,000 baht or so. They had to BF the dancers, pay for their taxis to the site, pay for their drinks and put up the cash prizes. It was irritating to see how many of the guys who were cheering the dancers and having a blast simply refused to put in one satang. I saw a couple of guys chuck in a 10 baht coin, others a 20 baht note ... most nothing. A few crossed their arms across their chest and glared at the girls with the bucket. Passing the hat was only tried a few times because of that.

People wonder why the DC's came to an end. Well, besides being a lot of work to put on, they were simply too damned expensive to continue.

"In the beginning, the organisation was a nightmare. We paid for everything ourselves. It used to cost about 60,000 baht to put a dance contest on. We barfined 20 girls, paid them each 1,000 baht to enter, then there was the prize money (10,000 baht for first, 5,000 baht for second and 3,000 baht for third place) and incidentals like a bottle of Tequila for the dancers, flowers for the winner and so on. We used to pass around a bucket during the show to get contributions from the audience but you wouldn't believe how cheap many of the punters were either giving us just 20 baht or nothing at all. Jeez, Bangkok hadn't seen anything like this for years and they looked at us like shit when we tried to recoup some of our outlay. As our reputation grew, different bars would fight to host our dance contests and we eventually turned them into a profitable venture."

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanBangkokWeeklyColumn2010/Nanapong.htm

given its so easy to eat cheaper than a single drink in a gogo bar it defies logic why ballon chaser cheap charlies would go out of their way to get free crap food when it makes much more economical sense to eat somewhere else & chase the best happy hours lol :p

are cheap charlies also the most IQ challenged dudes? :p :p

Archived