Cheap Charlie

bust

I remember one particular venue became very popular for the Friday meetings because it had free food....... :hmmm: Trying to remember who was there and who went back for seconds and thirds. I was fasting at the time :rolleyes:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Los Cabos ... where the food was free, but the jugs of beer and pitchers of margaritas were not.

Jugs of local beer were also very cheap until 7 pm. Even after they were very reasonable. Nothing to look at, but food and drink was ok.

Is the new place that took over from Los Cabos open yet? It was going to be called Vintage Pub or something but looks like that fell through.

No matter how much you have spent, even it it included buying a fleet of motocycles for the family/friends/local som tum lady, if you still have some money in your pocket that you are reluctant to hand over then you are....a cheap charlie.

The term 'cheap charlie' could have been started by some owner of a clip joint, a lowlife who's out to relieve you of your money, quickly and as efficiently as possible, one you would avoid for shure.

When I first started coming to LOS, I used to leave big tips. It's gotten to a point now where I'm probably a below average tipper. This is bad; :nono: I have to remember to be more generous.

There were two bars I used to buy drinks for a lot of folks when I showed up - I would do it for the dek-serves and the girls behind the bar, the mamasan, the 'tom' that managed the other girls. And it's cool to do that at times. But it got to the point where it wasn't a gesture of anything, but was expected. As soon as I walked in would have a line queueing up to get their free drink. Further if there was a girl I was actually interested in talking to it became a major challenge as I'd have some of these other folks perpetually hovering for the next drink. So, had to literally force myself to nip that shit in the bud and be a little more smart.

I remember one time sitting at a particular bar and this old gentlemen came in, was in close proximity to me so we were bullshitting with each other for awhile and this girl starts chatting him up. He bought her a drink, she said she was hungry and asked him if he wanted to order any food, he said no but she could get whatever she wanted. Next thing you know there's a sushi delivery and she's feeding her four friends (and they offered me some too which I declined), then they all stress to this guy they need a drink too. Meanwhile this guy - a postal worker from Canada or something like that - is one of those nice guys who doesn't like to say no and he gets stuck with a 3k baht tab in a matter of half an hour, and wasn't too happy about it. Left shortly after. Welcome back to Bangkok sir.

I've seen the flip side though too, the real cheap charlies that seek any opportunity to sponge or skip out on paying the bill.

Common sense and experience teaches you in the end how to wisely spend your money without being an ass or getting played. Or come close.

Archived