Cheap Charlie

bust

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the baht doesn't tumble, the Cheap Charlies won't even be able to come here.

Might keep away some of the " soccer hooligan " types who come for the cheap booze etc and give quality tourists like myself :grinyes: a bad name in LOS.Seriously though,I wonder what is the lowest monthly income it would be possible to live on whilst still enjoying a reasonable lifestyle ? My guess would be 20 -25 k.

My guess would be 20 -25 k.

To be honest Dexi 25K won't get you much nowadays basics such as True Vision, Internet and Utilities bills will come 3,500- 4,000 / Month then figure in a minimum of 10,000 rent and that is leaving you less than 370 THB / day I don't think I would be happy scrimping by on that.

I Believe 75-80 K is closer to the mark to be comfortable without being extravagant but whereas 80K was less than £1500 a couple of months back it is now closer to £2,000

I am on record in this forum of stating that before I ever considered retiring I would need an income based on an exchange rate of 45 THB/ £ or 25 to USD and people thought that I was being stupid but these are only the levels that the Baht was 20 years ago and a lot of people have "Found Thailand" Post 97 crash, it appears that my prophecy is becoming a reality I am sorry to say, I wish I had been wrong but it was to be expected in all honesty.

I am on record in this forum of stating that before I ever considered retiring I would need an income based on an exchange rate of 45 THB/ £ or 25 to USD and people thought that I was being stupid

That's a good plan Mekong, for anyone. People often plan based on favourable exchange rates and don't take into account fluctuation in FX, inflation, needing to move due to unforeseen circumstances and the odd trip home to farang land. ALWAYS plan for the worse case scenario - investments could head south, interest rates, etc - unfortunately I have met quite a few lads who optimistically "retire" to places like LOS only to have to return home sooner than expected to find a job to top up their investments.

There are quite a few from the USA that live solely on their minimum US Social Security of $800 / month.

As the exchange rate gets more buggered, they have to scrimp all the more.

Rooms can be rented in BKK, near the "action" areas (Soi 22, Soi Cowboy, etc) for under 10,000/month.

Take it, they require a walk or a motorsai ride to the action areas, but not excessive.

The farther out you live, the cheaper the rent, so one on a small monthly income can get by.

To be honest Dexi 25K won't get you much nowadays basics such as True Vision, Internet and Utilities bills will come 3,500- 4,000 / Month then figure in a minimum of 10,000 rent and that is leaving you less than 370 THB / day I don't think I would be happy scrimping by on that.

I Believe 75-80 K is closer to the mark to be comfortable without being extravagant but whereas 80K was less than £1500 a couple of months back it is now closer to £2,000

I am on record in this forum of stating that before I ever considered retiring I would need an income based on an exchange rate of 45 THB/ £ or 25 to USD and people thought that I was being stupid but these are only the levels that the Baht was 20 years ago and a lot of people have "Found Thailand" Post 97 crash, it appears that my prophecy is becoming a reality I am sorry to say, I wish I had been wrong but it was to be expected in all honesty.

Mekong,

This is why many are moving to the smaller cities of Isan and even to their wives villages. The exchange rate is killing their earlier plans. But here in Surin rents are cheap, but can approach 8 to 10K baht. Mainly in the farang ghetto developments, which can be nice, but are pricier than your normal rental homes in the city in Thai neighborhoods, which can be quite pleasant actually. I went to a house warming this past weekend here. The woman, a young farang English teacher, found a nice place near the government hospital and the school where she teaches. 6,000 baht a month. 3 bedrooms, one with AC and another all wired up for an AC if wanted/needed, nicely tiled living room, nice newer well appointed bathroom, medium size kitchen with nice tiling, very large covered back yard area as a second kitchen, front yard as well is large, with a large covered area for a carport (she has no car) that she's using for an entertainment area, with a small area with palm tree and planter area in a corner of the yard. I also noticed all the windows were properly screened. Nicely painted and tiled, a deal and a good place to live for her.

Basic True (silver package) is cheap enough, most here download off the net for their movies (and share/swap them around), watch internet TV, download music and TV shows, internet in the city works fine and is around 800 to 1000 baht a month, no need for the Platinum package unless you have the dough to splurge on yourself and want/need all the channels from the west they provide. Electric isn't cheap any more, water is still. The teaching jobs up here pay fairly well. Even those who really are not qualified can make 30K baht a month. There's a good huge Tawan Dang rock music venue, at the moment they are building a new Robinson's with a Tops supermarket which should be finished within a year's time. Will supposedly have a McD's as well. And a 6 Cinaplex theater with some movies shown in English. There's a large disco (Speed 3) for the brave of heart and younger farangs, Soi Kola is here for the monger types and late night partyers with its couple of agogos and various Karaoke bars, plus a couple of full on sex massage parlors and many small ones with happy endings. A full sized Tescos, also a Tescos mini mart, there's a Makro Superstore, there's a Big C as well, and 7-11s up the ying yang. Plenty of restaurants Thai and farang, and mixed, a nice Japanese restaurant, German, American, English, Norwegian restaurants as well - plenty of markets for clothing and foods, street food stalls, a night market, a large day market for fresh foods and veggies and such which is much cheaper than the large superstores mostly. A couple of 'malls' one with bowling and a movie complex (sadly all in Thai). And Korat is just a couple hours down the 24 highway as well, with their Korat Mall and other restaurants and venues. Golf as well, tennis courts, and swimming pools that can be used when wanted. (There's a few guys here that have a swim club that meet 3 or 4 times a week). Plenty of golfers to play a round or two with, and a bunch that play tennis a few times a week. There's cheap places to drink and chat and meet people, and more expensive places. Coffee shops abound these days, some are quite nice. Lots of variety. It's not huge, and it is certainly not Bangkok or Pattaya (thank god). There are a lot of good decent farang folks living here, some raising families, some retired and relaxing, and some single younger folk who seem to be having a lot of fun here in a provincial city in Isan while teaching the kids English. And, it, the farang population here, keeps growing as the exchange rate gets worse. Mostly nice people here, with your usual assholes, bums, ignorant shits, and miserable fucks thrown in. The idiots soon leave for other areas when their welcome is worn out. The expats take care of their own, and from what I have seen good decent friendly folk are welcomed by those living here. You do get a chance to prove yourself to being a good sort by most here.

About 10K to pay for rent and pay your bills. Leaving 20k or more depending on your income of 30k or more monthly income. I know a few in the 'farang quarter' rental developments paying 8k baht for some very nice large places. They are on better incomes. Many have built houses or bought their homes as well.

Your figures, Mekong, are for Bangkok mainly I'd say. There's much more of Thailand than Bangkok (or Pattaya or Phuket) to live in, and plenty of people living here that would not want to live there, even if they had the bucks to do so. For some/many Bangkok is for visiting, not living. A place to splurge a bit in the high end restaurants, bars and malls (or gogos and massage parlors). Much as many in England like to visit London, but would not want to live there.

All Dexi would need here in Surin, or in many cities in Isan, is a part time teaching gig to supplement his income a bit, and he could live quite nicely and comfortably. Hey, if you are young with a tough ass you can even use the crappy old non - AC trains for cheap as hell to get everywhere. :-) I don't recommend it, but it can be done on the cheap to travel all over. A seat cushion, some cold drinks and sandwiches in an ice cooler, a book or two, or a tablet/laptop to watch some movies, or a Kindle book reader, some music, a Thai/English translation book (or the software on a tablet with sound for translation), and an ATM card, and you can get all over the country in Spartan 'comfort' very inexpensively. Better to do in the cooler season though. LOL

A pleasant attitude and personality, a bit of Thai - survival Thai, a smile on your face, (not being a miserable drunken dickhead daily- just saying, not aimed at anyone in particular - or an elitist snob, or a Thai hating misery guts), a few baht in your pocket (and a richness of soul and positive vibes), and most farang can have a very pleasant life anywhere in Thailand (and not break the bank or become being seen as a 'farang kee nok' by the Thais they encounter). And please, dress properly when going out and about. Thongs and swim trunks with singlet really is for the beach, or lounging at home, or Pattaya and Phuket maybe. :-) It will get you a more positive response from the Thais you encounter. Up to you mate, but I have seen the difference in how farang are treated by the Thais according to the way they present themselves and behave.

Scroungy and dirty looking farang improperly attired do have many more problems I've seen then those with a bit of better dress sense, who bath daily, use deodorant, trim their hair and facial hair, clean shaven is best here it seems, and just look like they have a clue... and are pleasant, tolerant, sober... and civil when a bit of a problem comes around. Yelling and cursing and acting a cunt will get you nothing but trouble and hard times in Thailand sooner or later. A bit of intelligence would not be a bad thing either. :-)

Your mileage may vary, but not by much.

Cent,

I hear what you are saying mate but I don't think I could live on True Vision Silver, the only reason I have it in is to watch English Premier League Football and Rugby live which requires Gold package minimum I don't use it for anything else to be honest, it is just my idea of "being comfortable", I don't know if you personally are into watching NHL, NBA or NFL if any but it is far better to watch anything of choice at home spread out on the settee in ones underwear rather than have to get dressed and attend a venue that is showing the games if they are even being shown when the said establishments are open.

I have purchased land 20 KM outside Chiang Mai and will develop it and live there long term in the future but even if I was able to live there on 25K/Month my investment would have been 10 years income at such a rate without spending a single satang. I know it can still be done on 25K/ month but IMHO that is lot living it is just surviving, I have spent the majority of my working live in inhospitable places with the mindset that one day I could retire and live in a small semblance of comfort which by my figures will take a lot more than 25K/Month to achieve.

I am not being snobbish just being realistic, if I could be happy on minimal income and hand to mouth living I could have stayed back home in the UK living off the dole (Social Security your side of the pond) but I don't want to live off food coupons I would prefer to fly to Hong Kong and take the hydrofoil over to Macau for instance and spend 2-3 days in the Venetian without having to worry about money too much.

I have always been a Jeans and T-Shirt guy, well shorts T-Shirt and flip flops in Thailand but no way could I live hand to mouth monthly, it is not what I have worked all my life for, one needs a little comfort in the twighlight years.

Red Baron.

At least one board member understands my method, cheers sir, everything has to be based on worse case scenario so one never gets a nasty bite in the rear later on in life, many newcomers to Thailand don't realise what the exchange rate was Pre -97, bollox 16 years ago now it always was 25 to the USD and 40 to GBP which is my bottom line, Risk Analysis is part of my working life so it is near on impossible to be a professional in ones career without any carry over into personnel life

Cent,

I hear what you are saying mate but I don't think I could live on True Vision Silver, the only reason I have it in is to watch English Premier League Football and Rugby live which requires Gold package minimum I don't use it for anything else to be honest, it is just my idea of "being comfortable", I don't know if you personally are into watching NHL, NBA or NFL if any but it is far better to watch anything of choice at home spread out on the settee in ones underwear rather than have to get dressed and attend a venue that is showing the games if they are even being shown when the said establishments are open.

I have purchased land 20 KM outside Chiang Mai and will develop it and live there long term in the future but even if I was able to live there on 25K/Month my investment would have been 10 years income at such a rate without spending a single satang. I know it can still be done on 25K/ month but IMHO that is lot living it is just surviving, I have spent the majority of my working live in inhospitable places with the mindset that one day I could retire and live in a small semblance of comfort which by my figures will take a lot more than 25K/Month to achieve.

I am not being snobbish just being realistic, if I could be happy on minimal income and hand to mouth living I could have stayed back home in the UK living off the dole (Social Security your side of the pond) but I don't want to live off food coupons I would prefer to fly to Hong Kong and take the hydrofoil over to Macau for instance and spend 2-3 days in the Venetian without having to worry about money too much.

I have always been a Jeans and T-Shirt guy, well shorts T-Shirt and flip flops in Thailand but no way could I live hand to mouth monthly, it is not what I have worked all my life for, one needs a little comfort in the twighlight years.

Red Baron.

At least one board member understands my method, cheers sir, everything has to be based on worse case scenario so one never gets a nasty bite in the rear later on in life, many newcomers to Thailand don't realise what the exchange rate was Pre -97, bollox 16 years ago now it always was 25 to the USD and 40 to GBP which is my bottom line, Risk Analysis is part of my working life so it is near on impossible to be a professional in ones career without any carry over into personnel life

Mekong,

Which is why I said this: "no need for the Platinum package unless you have the dough to splurge on yourself and want/need all the channels from the west they provide".

There's not that much of a price difference between Silver and Gold package though. Even someone on a basic budget can afford it if they really want/need it. And yes, I watch NFL and have the Gold Package to do so. But many are not really into sports and would not need that if they do like I said they do here... download movies and share them around. Download Kindle books and share them around, music the same, TV shows the same. I have Gold because I want it and will pay for it. And if I was on a tight budget, and really wanted it, I would delay or give up something else to have it. All about one's priorities really.

But, we were talking about what DEXI had to spend per month and what he CAN get for that living in Thailand, not what you have to spend and want or need, or what you would be comfortable with in your life/retirement. Dig? Stay on topic brother. :-)

It, the subject matter being referred to, is about what Dexi and others in HIS situation and budget level can do to have a decent life in Thailand. Not everyone needs, or even wants, to pop over to Hong Kong on the Hydrofoil to be fulfilled in life and have a reasonable, comfortable and pleasant retirement. And, not everyone has the funds, for one reason or another. Shit happens in life. People get screwed in a divorce and lose most of their assets and savings. Some have to spend a lot of their savings on medical bills due to a severe illness they were not insured for. Some had emergencies and expenditures they did not plan on. Shit happens even to the best of us. Not everybody wins their divorce case and gets all their assets back and marries their lawyer. :-) So, saying that, some do, even though their funds are lower than others staying here in Thailand, still want to get the fuck out of cold, rainy old Dodge City and come live in Thailand, at a lower level than you yourself would be wanting to. But, to say they cannot is just not fucking true. They can, and they can and do, and will not 'just be surviving'. They can still have sanuk, still find a lady to live with, still have a decent home they can rent fairly inexpensively, still have a night out, a few beers and a chat with mates, a bit of travel around the country to see and do things, a day at the beach, listen to some good live music, go to the movies, bowling, have somewhere good to eat out, etc. etc. etc.

"but IMHO that is lot (not) living it is just surviving" Yes, in YOUR opinion. Many are quite happy doing otherwise than your opinion, and seem to me by those I know and see living on 30/40 k baht a month satisfied with their life and having a much better time here living as they do (living well for what they have and can afford) than someone back in Blighty living off the dole in the miserable weather. Different strokes for different folks.

"I am not being snobbish" That was not aimed at you, Mekong, or anyone in particular, but I do see some expats, living all the way up here in Surin, who seem to look down on those who do not have (and many do not even want what they have) the same doodads and bells and whistles they have. You wouldn't believe all the guys up here with brand new 4x4s tooling around as it they were big shot Donald Trumps (the 4x4 being in wife's name or even GF's name), building multi million baht homes on land in their wife's or GF's name which they could lose in a heartbeat if the wifey gets pissed off at them, catches them philandering, or they find a new Thai boy toy or 'richer' farang knobhead that suits their libido or social level better (or reveal that 'brother' is actually hubbie once they have what they want). I've seen guys here nearly go broke trying to impress the farangs and Thais that they are rich. Some are, but some are not really, they're just posers, and get themselves into trouble trying to show and act like they are. :-) Many come here with millions of baht, enough to live here decently for a lifetime, and blow it all in a matter of a couple/few years. Then they will blame the Thais, their wives, whoever they can except themselves, and live miserable lives here snarling at everyone and making the usual miserable dipshit farang ass of themselves. But most here do well enough, live within their means, and enjoy their lives, with real friends, and couldn't be happier, even though they are NOT rich and well heeled.

What I am saying is it can be done, most can be happy here, and it can be done on a lot less than what makes YOU personally happy and contented. We aren't talking about you, we're talking about Dexi and others, people who may be reading here, who have less, but still want to know if they can make a decent happy life in the LOS. My answer is... they can, and many do.

It's not the money, or not all ABOUT the money, it's the attitude and 'their own reality' that counts. It's not being miserable and moaning in a cold wet, snowy, icy climate in a land of miserable bastards that are always whinging and never having the balls and guts to at least give it a shot somewhere else in another land. It's taking the chance, getting some info, working toward the goal and going for it. It ain't all peaches and cream, but it ain't bad, and it can be done to certain degree of comfort and sanuk. Realistically.

The ones I see do best here are the ones who are not hard core alkies (or druggies) who need to drink every day and sit about ragging on the 'stupid Thais' and seemingly being just as much a miserable drunken cunt as they were back in the west, and the ones who are not addle brained hard core sex pats who try to pay to screw every Thai woman they see that strikes their fancy, no matter where they are in the country (Yeah, I think I can screw that 7-11 babe, Joe. She wants me bad!). The ones that let the fact that you can get laid here easily enough if wanted and needed to go to their head and control their whole lives, everything they do, like some sort of deranged dog in heat. They usually come to a bad and desperate end here. The ones that do well usually keep themselves under control, have a regular steady woman, maybe get something strange on the side now and then 'discreetly' (much like the middle class Thai guys), and live a mainly normal life with some perks not available as easily in the west, have some good friends, and have some good times like most people do without letting it control and ruin their life. They work, they save, they live decently off their retirement monies that they may have within their means, and they usually thrive here and have a good life. And most are just average Joes, not rich, not poor, and not causing problems for themselves and others.

And I am not writing about you, or at you, Kong. As said, it isn't about you. I am writing here, using your post in this thread, to maybe help the Dexis reading here who have questions and want someone to tell them what it is really like here, and what they possibly can do to make it happen and possibly live here rather than 'there'.

Just saying mate. It's all good, unless it's all bad. :-)

So how's living in the old sod? Still cold there?

It is not just the crappy exchange rate, inflation is running up prices - slowly but surely. Thailand was dirt cheap until the OPEC fuckers decided to "sock it to the west" and ended up shafting the world. That was in 1974 or '75, and I saw prices start running wild. Transportation was the reason: rail and land transportation jumped by about 1/3rd. Money in the 1970s bought about 10 times what it does now. That 3 baht khao pat costs you 30 baht now, that 10 baht taxi ride costs 100. Worst of all is the nightlife. The 100 baht "aw night" is more likely going to be 4,000 and up. I'd never even heard on an ST until the 1990s.

p.s. It was 20 baht / US$ until 1982, when the government decided to let the baht free float. (It "floated" up to about 28 before settling down again.) It stayed at 25 until the 1997 financial fiasco, engineered by the Thai government under Chawalit. :p

I am with you all the way, years ago I got a complicated excel sheet from Soongmak (he was a retirement planner / pension specialist) with all possible variations, but bottom line I choose a min of 90K BTH per month at a rate of 28 THB / Euro (today 37 - 6 years ago 52) with a very low intrest of 1.5 % (although my investments brought > 15 % last year) and an inflation of 3.0 % just to make sure.

Combine your income, your pension, your investments, etc all in the mix, shake well, serve cool, and my plan is all worked out, on top of part of our income is in THB as well.

BB

planning his retirement in 4-5 years

Archived