The Wonders Of Driving In The Glorious Democratic People's Republic Of Laos.

Coss

I saw three moto vs car accidents last night.

Two were unremarkable as I was passing after the fact, but one...

At a major intersection, a cross roads, I am waiting for the green light, the traffic to my right has just got a red light, the traffic opposing me has just got a green.

And a moto flies through the red light, from my right, clips two or three of the leading motos that have started from the green light traffic, opposite, and embeds itself and rider under a Toyota Pick-up.

The ability of these guys to see a space and think, "I can go there, there's no one else on the planet that will be in that space before I get there", is stunning.

I'd deride this guy more, but for the fact he was convulsing under the Toyota as we drove away, people trying to lift the vehicle off him. My two female passengers crying from the graphic scene that had unfolded before them.

I've seen the same many times in Taiwan, China and Thailand.

Never seen such in Singapore, Malaysia or Japan. They all seem to be much better drivers.

New word(s) for the gov to learn...Drivers' Education!!! or how about teaching something about the Right of Way???

A better idea ... require all Thais to pass a driving test before they get a licence! My Mrs is actually a very good driver, safe and sane (thank God). Nevertheless, she was issued her licence before she knew how to drive. Why? Well, she's a civil servant.

It was quite common when I lived in the north to see an archan driving around the campus very slowly. The reason was that archan so-and-so had got a licence and bought a car. Now they were figuring out how to drive the thing. Traffic rules? Turn signals? Stopping distances? What are they?

I have seen it take one week to get a license for a motorbike!

Yes, about 20 Thais watched the movie and tried the road test, they ALL failed for a variety of reasons,

like didn't use the turn signal, etc. (this was on Monday)

All 20 had to return in a few days, to watch the movie, again.

Then, Friday, try the road test, *** most *** passed but some still did not.

The instructor lady was very spartan! She spoke up that Thais are terrible drivers and it will stop here, in

Samut Sakhon!!

Good on her!!!

Archived