Wifi Router Question

gawguy

I have an older wifi router that works fine. It only has WEP though so I almost never use wifi. I use it to route four LAN cables that I use all the time.

My question is: Even though wifi is turned off on my computers, can a hacker get to my computers through the router which has wifi permanently on? (On that router I don't see a switch or a setting in the firmware to turn off wifi.)

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

A hacker could probably get into your network over time if they were persistant enough but a decent password including a mix of characters (mixed case), numbers and symbols will keep them out for a long time - if you are talking about the ordinary guy on the street then very little chance provinding you have a decent password on the router.

It appears you are asking if a hacker can get to you via wifi to a wifi router when you have wifi turned off on your machine. If this is your question then the answer is:

Absolutely not.

Now then, if you are using the router as a hub.... line into the device from the ISP then line out of the device to your machine.... then the answer is "YES." This is because you have a direct link to the router.

Since hubs are about $10, using a wifi router in an area you question is not very wise.

It appears you are asking if a hacker can get to you via wifi to a wifi router when you have wifi turned off on your machine. If this is your question then the answer is:

Absolutely not.

Now then, if you are using the router as a hub.... line into the device from the ISP then line out of the device to your machine.... then the answer is "YES." This is because you have a direct link to the router.

Since hubs are about $10, using a wifi router in an area you question is not very wise.

I bought a new router. I wanted wifi capability (for rare occasions) with the option to turn off wifi on the router so my router will not broadcast. I asked about that at the store and was told I could turn it off with the software. I can get to the router setup by entering its IP in my browser. I see a lot of options, but nothing that just says wifi on/off. It's a linksys router - what should I be looking for in the options?

I want to leave it off and work via LAN.

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Log into router via web browser as you have done and Wireless "Network Mode" drop down option DISABLE

The process was slighty tricky as the option to "Enable/Disable SSID broadcast" was hidden behind a not so obvious option. But it's off now and I'm using the router in the wired mode.

The Comcast tech had come out because at one point I lost phone service during the process of resetting modem and scheduled an appointment. The phone came back on after about two hours, but I let the appointment stand. Good thing cause he replaced the modem with a newer one, capable of even more speed he said, and now I'm getting Download 24.55 Mbps / Upload 3.81. Before the change it was about 18 down. My monthly to Comcast isn't cheap: Basic cable TV, Internet, Phone - $170 US.

Thanks for the help lads!

GG

Archived