Prices

Central Scrutinizer

Strainge init? Back in the early '80s, expats drifted over to Soi Cowboy because Patpong was too damned expensive (nearly double Cowboy prices). Then Nana came into play. (I remember when you could count the bars on the fingers of one hand and have fingers left over.) Nana went sky high, thanks to a certain group. But now the "Ay-rab" is trying tp turn Cowboy into his own private soi ripoff.

One has to keep moving around to find the best prices.

(Pssst! I can tell you where you can still get ST for 1,500 on Cowboy. Some nice looking girls too.)

It is interesting, don't usually go to gogos - but didn't realize they were that much. The beer bars around Nana like Hillary 4 and Big Dog run about 80 baht for a beer or a whisky during happy hour. LD are about 120-130bht (I'm pretty sure). Here's another interesting thing - the drink prices take a big jump after happy hour - 150baht and up, but the LD remain constant - 130 baht - in the beer bars.

The after hours clubs like Insanity (was Insomnia) and Climax run almost 200 baht a beer. But for gorgeousness of the female persuasion these places also reign supreme IMHO, way better than anything you see in a beer bar or gogo.

Then you have the faux trendy places like Bed, Q-Bar, Bash, Levels - on soi 11. Excess of 200 baht for anything, even a coke. And most of those places suck - more men than women and everyone trying to out-cool each other.

• 5 months later...

Cowboy: The "Arab" Bars - actually Persian but let's not quibble - they stopped their Happy Hour almost 6-9 months ago. Some of them have a special for draft beer for 90-110 baht on certain days, but their normal drink prices are just a joke. Especially when you get mostly Coyote Dancers.

The 5 Arab bars charge 180 for chang and 190 up for other beer, 2xx for lady's drink. Draft beer for 90 (Rio bar only)/ 110 is available all night on 3 weekdays (can't remember which 3).

the drink prices take a big jump after happy hour - 150baht and up

Are you sure mate? To the best of my knowledge the beers in most of the beer bars in Soi 4 go to around 120 thb after happy hour. Hillary 2 is the exception I believe at 140 and that is because "have band".

The exceptions will be Golden which is 75 thb all day I believe and my joint, Bar4, which is 105 thb after happy hour.

Cheers,

Mark

Are you sure mate? To the best of my knowledge the beers in most of the beer bars in Soi 4 go to around 120 thb after happy hour. Hillary 2 is the exception I believe at 140 and that is because "have band".

The exceptions will be Golden which is 75 thb all day I believe and my joint, Bar4, which is 105 thb after happy hour.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll trust you as a credible source of accurate information. :) I could very well be a little off, going by memory from evenings out. My sources would've likely been Morning/Night, Big Dogs, and Hillary 4 -- I can see I need to cross to the sunny side of the street more often.

Archived