High Airfare

togaduke

its it normal a few months ago most prices, for flight from Chicago to Bangkok, were around 1200, I checked for June or July, and am looking at 2000 -2300, i thought the summer was low season, is just a short time fluke, or is that what its going to be..I really would like to fly Cathy Pacific, with a lay over for a few days in Hong Kong.. are the summer prices always this High

June/July definately low season toga. Try a few different websites, or "flexible with dates" searches. It may just be the particular dates you entered into the search engine.

Prices down here have just dropped by around 30% - (1200 down to 800 Qantas sale - return all in) and I'm finding it hard to think of a reason not to come.

May be the low season in LOS but it is the high season in the USA for travel...kids out

of school, vacations, etc...

Haven't seen $1200 form Chicago <> BKK is a few years, but I always fly as direct as possible (one stop in Japan) and with United.

Just a quick look at United:

Round Trip (Start New Search)

Depart Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)

Arrive Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)

Date Tue., 30 Apr., 2013 Time Anytime

Cabin Economy Travelers 1

47,400 THB

so about $1580 US dollars, not a bad price.

A lot depends on which airlines and/or which websites you're looking at.

The yield management software at American Airlines used to be sane. Sometime last year, it became "eccentric". Currently, it appears to be somewhere between psychotic and just plain nucking futs. For a while, it was claiming that the only fares available six months out for DFW-NRT-BKK were "Fully Flexible", meaning ca. $6000 R/T. That appears to have subsided, momentarily. For a while, it appeared that they wanted to shift most of their Far East passengers to Cathay Pacific flights, away from JAL. (It may have something to do with JAL's customer service, in-flight and on the ground, being astronomically better than AA's, and AA doesn't want their customers to see how easy it is for an airline to do a good job. Or it may have something to do with their recent acquisition by US Airways.)

I bought 4 tickets for my family in mid January for LoS, leaving late May and returning the middle of August. They are flying southwest airlines KC to LAX ($250 RT) and LAX to BKK, via Narita and KL ($1,100.00). Since then, gas prices have spiked and the cheapest fare that I have found out of LAX is $1,350. I'm going over for July on Delta, using FF miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, it's low season for SEAsia but high season in the US, unfortunately. I regularly pay 1,000-1,100 RT from San Fran to BKK (on EVA), except in August: that time of year the best fare is regularly 1,300-1,500.

Archived