Dengue Fever 2013

drlove

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Mr Iuytrede, if you could elaborate on "Dengue is harmless for young tourists (farang Dengue patients are usually backpackers in their twenties)" I would be grateful, what is your take on 55 yr old farang male, overweight and until recently smoker and heavy drinker? immune or highly susceptible to a bad trip on Dengue?

I paid the hospital for a 11 year old Thai boy a few years back. He was in the

hospital for two weeks on a salt water drip waiting for the fever to run its course.

So, young people can get knocked down by it.

At the time I did not know of the Silver Water and would loved to have given it a go,

just orally would have cut the hospital time by 70%...IMO.

Yes, Mr Iuytrede, if you could elaborate on "Dengue is harmless for young tourists (farang Dengue patients are usually backpackers in their twenties)" I would be grateful, what is your take on 55 yr old farang male, overweight and until recently smoker and heavy drinker? immune or highly susceptible to a bad trip on Dengue?

I would be interested to hear this myself.

by "harmless" I mean the disease is self-limiting and the patient will make a complete recovery without permanent damages, usually within a week or so.

as to 55 y.o.: "the elderly" refers to people usually over 60. Once you are over 70, dengue may still be self-limiting (in most cases) but it may be a very debilitating, protracted disease, prone to complications, whereas the typical 25 y.o. backpacker is fine after about a week.

People who spent a big part of their life in the tropics are more at risk to develop serious complications (the theory is that they have been infected before).

Children (even teenagers) who grew up in the tropics can easily die from dengue. That includes the children that your Thai wife brought into your marriage, even they now live in farangland. When they visit Thailand for the holidays and contract dengue you should take this seriously.

So it would seem from your comments, that each repeated instance of infection (even if they don't present any symptoms) are likely to raise the risk of serious complications.

To another discussion point, there is some comment amongst the expats here, that they don't believe that one single insect bite will give you any serious Dengue symptoms. That repeated bites will build the virus to a level that becomes a tipping point that then becomes a problem.

Could you comment on this please?

• 3 weeks later...

So... I have been in Pattaya for about 6 weeks. Before I left I bought CVS brand Deet repellant, quite a high amount of deet compared to other brands. I put it on during the day when I go out to places where I've been bitten before - the beach and the hill areas. In the past I was also bitten in my room at night a few times. This time I've changed rooms. I don't use a net to sleep under and anyway dengue mosquitoes bite during the day, so they say. A net would be a bit of a pain unless you have a bed you can hang it on.

I'm not sure if it's the repellant or maybe the dry weather, but I haven't been bitten once, day or night. I don't go out a lot during the day anyway cause it's just too hot, but I do walk / jog in the mornings in an area where I was bitten before. That was mainly when I went off the road to pee. The wooded areas around the roads are drier now too.

In the past I knew someone who lived and stayed in Pattaya and got dengue.