Dengue Fever 2013

drlove

Gentlemen and ladies:

Starting as I am, to recover from my second bout of Dengue, I'll relate my experiences here for the edification of those who may be interested.

My 1st bout was last year, my symptoms, fever, headache behind the eyes, rash on upper legs like measles, extreme lethargy. You can get other symptoms but these are what I had. The infection followed the typical 4 days lying down and sleeping, 1 day feeling good and 1 week feeling crap again but slowly recovering, with lethargy leaving about the 3 week mark. 4 weeks before feeling chipper again.

This bout: much more hot and cold fever and head ache for 3 days, really head pounding stuff, aching bones and joints, not much lethargy but tired from the head banging fever. 1 day feeling good so out for a beer or 7. Next day back to illness, slowly recovering now at the 10 day mark, still some dizziness. No rash. Now lethargic.

Wikiwoo has a good page on Dengue - http://en.wikipedia....ki/Dengue_fever

Now that I've had it twice, the following is of note:

While each serotype can cause the full spectrum of disease, virus strain is a risk factor. Infection with one serotype is thought to produce lifelong immunity to that type, but only short term protection against the other three. The risk of severe disease from secondary infection increases if someone previously exposed to serotype DENV-1 contracts serotype DENV-2 or DENV-3, or if someone previously exposed to DENV-3 acquires DENV-2. Dengue can be life-threatening in people with chronic diseases such as diabetes and asthma.

The Lao family take Dengue very much in their stride, they know there's not much you can do.

They also know that rehydration is essential, so little packs of 'D-lyte' appear and I drink two of these a day. D-lyte is Multivitamin, Sodium, Potassium, glucose etc. Coconut juice and sports drinks are also good.

Oh, and no appetite - lost 5Kg the first time, It'll be interesting to see how I fare this time.

It seems that only the very young and old and immune compromised die from this, but I fear getting it a 3rd time.

I've been lucky in that none of the 'serious' symptoms like bleeding etc (see Wiki woo) occurred, so I haven't been in danger. If any blood had turned up, I'd be off to the hospital pronto.

I also note that the first time I had the rash, this time I didn't, but got the bone aching instead. So I reckon I've had two of the 4 types.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for those who may know.

If there are 4 serotypes of Dengue, what is the likelihood of them all being present in a geographic location. For example, if Dengue is present, all 4 serotypes will be present, or, certain serotypes are more often found in certain localities.

Any ideas?

My first bout was fairly mild, knocked me out for about 4 days and left me weak for some time afterwards. The second was much worse, alternate chills and fever and barely able to get out of bed. It must have taken me 6 weeks to 2 months to get back to normal. Got it the first time up north, the second right here in Bangkok. Two of my neighbours and several colleagues got it about the same time I did in Bangkok. My wife scolded me for not taking better care of myself, then she got it in Chiang Mai. :(

Dengue sucks.

Good to hear that you are about over it!

It seems to me that there was one type, then another type...and on it goes.

From what I read, say you get type 1, you may never get it again because you now have a natural immunity

to the bugger...but...you still can get the other types. Bummer, one go around should be enough, but it isn't.

Question for those who may know.

If there are 4 serotypes of Dengue, what is the likelihood of them all being present in a geographic location. For example, if Dengue is present, all 4 serotypes will be present, or, certain serotypes are more often found in certain localities.

Any ideas?

Not a clue. I used to know but my knowledge on this is old. (In bug stomping, you are out of date if you quit studying for like 6 months!) But a buddy of mine at CDC is a researcher on this bug. Have not spoken to him in a year or so, but I will reach out to him and see what he says.

Thanks for that, so it would seem I have immunity for 2 of 5 types and the likelihood of me getting infected by the remaining 3 is less likely rather than more likely.

Also of note: I use diclofenac for gout, hangovers, any physical pain really. In my research on Dengue I found somewhere that diclofenac and similar are good to reduce the effects of the fever you know. And lo and behold it works.

It doesn't cure you, but it can mean the difference between sleep and feverish nights.