The Anything Goes Music Thread!

Flashermac

On 12/31/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mekong said:

Johnny Cash was an excellent artist, I don’t particularly like country but I make an exception for Cash.

Not many people realise that his last hit song “Hurt” was a cover version of Industrial Metal Band’s “Nine Inch Nails /\/ / /\/ “ song from the 1994 Album “The Downward Spiral” 

Well I say Nine Inch Nails, studio wise it is just Trent Reznor playing everything, just hooks up with session musicians for live shows. Still one of my favorite first albums is 1989 “Pretty Hate Machine” 

Johnny Cash did the best rendition of Hurt. I listened to all of them and in my opinion he was the best.

1 hour ago, cavanami said:

Johnny Cash did the best rendition of Hurt. I listened to all of them and in my opinion he was the best.

Agreed Cav,

When Nine Inch Nails first recorded it, it was a standout tune, but Johnny Cash just took it to another level,

It fits him so well it could have been written for / by him, and the timing of the recording / release just before his death was so poignant

I never “Got” Elvis, other of the same era such as Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins,  Chubby Checker, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent etc all had one thing in common, they wrote their own material 

Elvis didnt he relied upon writers such as Ben Wiseman, Mac Davies and Otis Blackwell to compose his songs for him, he never wrote a single song.

IMHO an Artiste writes and records predominantly their own material, nothing wrong with the occasional cover version, but to have a career based upon singer others compositions is not the sign of an Artiste, merely a performer, a phenomenal performer for sure, but a performer non the less.

You can teach a one trick pony to perform.

2 hours ago, Mekong said:

IMHO an Artiste writes and records predominantly their own material, nothing wrong with the occasional cover version,

Yes

And now they give the same accolades to people who can "spin" records and their digital equivalents, no musical skills, no singing, on writing, no nothing, just giggling around enthusiastically to other people's music.

F"n DJs...