America's Cup: Emirates Team Nz Reveal Secret Weapon

Coss

Alt_ETNZ220313%204.JPG'Emirates Team NZ in action'

34th America's Cup: Emirates Team New Zealand has been training throughout the southern hemisphere summer in home waters and prior to heading to San Francisco, California, where the racing for the 34th America’s Cup set to take place, the team today reveals a new performance enhancing innovation on board the 72-foot multihull.

While this particular innovation was not in their plans at the initial design stage, the addition is one of a continuing performance enhancing evolutions and Emirates Team New Zealand managing director, Grant Dalton, expects this one to attract a lot of attention: 'I am expecting a lot of noise about it, especially from the sailors in other teams who I am sure will feel that they are missing out.'

In a first for the team they have shared their innovation with the world: 'Everything you do is not only about designing the fastest boat,' said skipper Dean Barker,' but finding ways to improve that boat. We’re always looking for new features and new ideas on how to make the boat go faster and we’re very excited about this new development.'

see

The fascination was simply that the New York Yacht Club could not be beaten for 126 years, the longest record in sports. Once Bond finally succeeded on his fourth try in 1983, after losing in previous challenges (1974, 1977, 1980), the Cup became just another contest between millionaires. No one pays any attention any more (not that they ever really did). Yachts are made of fiberglass, multi-hulls are allowed, bizarre keels ... not even the same contest it used to be.

Exactly. Most Americans probably think the America's Cup is for golf. I'll wager more Americans follow polo than yacht racing. :)

Worth noting that Bond lost 4-0, 4-0, 4-1 until he got his new keel. Then he won 4-3. In the 9 competitions since then, Oz has not won again, but the Kiwis did - twice. Even the Swiss have won it. The Swiss? :surprised:

Archived