Buying U.s. Postage In Thailand

rickfarang

In more than 10 years in this country, this is the first time I have run up against this problem and haven't yet figured out what looks like a workable solution, so I am ask for a solution or inspiration from the greater collected wisdom of thai360's participants.

I need to send a self-addressed envelope with postage on it to the United States so that a municipal office can send some documents to me. I don't know how to get the postage to put on the envelope.

The government's online facility for printing postage only works for a narrow range of dates around the time the label is printed, not enough time for the postage to make it to the United States, let alone get processed and mailed back out.

Does anybody have any creative constructive suggestions for solutions?

Thank you in advance for any help that might be proffered.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow..........that's pretty trusting, carrying a sealed envelope that you don't know the contents of into another country. Lots of people in jail for doing that when the contents are found to be illegal. More trusting than me. At least seal it up at the handoff point so you could inspect the contents.

Wow..........that's pretty trusting, carrying a sealed envelope that you don't know the contents of into another country. Lots of people in jail for doing that when the contents are found to be illegal. More trusting than me. At least seal it up at the handoff point so you could inspect the contents.

I never said sealed. Neither did Rick. But if he does want to seal his request letter to the government, he can do it in front of me.

You are right about the baht though. Yes, $15 worth should do it.

When I lived in the USA and would submit manuscripts to foreign publishers, I just included IRC's sufficient to cover the return postage.

http://en.wikipedia....al_reply_coupon

I note: "The US Postal Service discontinued sales of IRCs on 27 January 2013 due to declining demand." But the USPS still has to honour them. Thailand belongs to the Universal Postal Union, and I seem to recall buying them once or twice in Bangkok, though that was years ago. No idea if they are still around.

No, you never said sealed. I read your post. However, human nature, when sending off a piece of mail, is to seal it first. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. A can't seal a "self-addressed envelope." unless you dont want anything put in it to be send back to you.

The Gov people he is sending it to have to put something in it and send it to bkk, and I have to put the right postage on it and send it to them. So either none of you read it or you did not understand it.

Archived