It's Been Awhile, But Who Is Left On This Board?

ozpharlap

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my second account but I think I've been here since 2000 or 2001, never posted very much however. The board peaked when slimeytoad posted his soapy massage parlour reviews, possibly the best thing ever that I read on the internet, that I've read. Now I look here maybe five times a year, and quickly catch up on all I've missed. If you think its slow here take a look at delphi.com and the nanapong board, pretty much just a death announcement every few months.

Slimeytoad vanished long ago, maybe went home to Blighty. I offered to meet him several times, but he wanted to stay anonymous. From his stomping grounds, I figured we must work near each other. I may even have encountered him, but not under his board persona. His MP reports were fantastic.

Actually, a fair number of old board posters - here and at Nanapong - are still around. They just don't post anymore. I see them now and then. Most have tamed down considerably. :(

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

I see a surprising number of Farang couples on Soi Cowboy these days. Who the fark brings a wife or GF to Thailand? But they do ... and the look on some of the guys' faces tells me they know they screwed up.

This was expected back in pre internet days.

Way back then it was someone who knew someone who knew someone who had heard that the best place on earth for beaches was Thailand. Add in some 10th hand rumour from a sailor or two and a dash of flavouring from decades old accounts from the Vietnam era and the myth of Thailand was born.

And that is the way it stayed for decades.

Fast forward to the 1990s and my introduction and up to two years before I first came to Thailand, the farthest I'd been was mainland and island Europe on 2 hour flights from the UK. When I landed at Don Muang I was unprepared but I knew there was an underbelly to Thailand and the issue of available sex was acknowledged if not really understood. This was pre internet and The Lonely Planet was the bible de jour.

Post the mid 2000s, say around 2003/4, most people had internet back west but it was slow and video was poor. Though information abounded on the wild side of Thailand, I surmise it was the boards in one way but much more so the internet which delivered Pattaya warts and all into your living room.

Quite how anyone can simply book a cheap package holiday to Thailand and not hit the net is baffling and whereas a crafty guy could honestly bluff his way through a bad destination decision previously, you simply can't when full on go-go action can be found at the click of a button in 2013.

I stayed for a while because to be honest I found it getting a bit too "personalities before principles" over certain differences of opinion. Now days just too busy. Some others who don't post anymore I still keep in touch with off the board.

I was on Soi Nana with a friend a few years ago, when a Brit gal was reading the riot act to her brand new husband. The idiot had booked a room in the Dynasty Hotel on the Internet for their honeymoon. She was standing in the lobby and screaming at him. "How could you put us in a hotel full of whores?" She called him every name you could think of. Quite fascinating to watch. :)

Archived