Taxis From Departures Level

Hamokhamok

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Gate" system has been running for a few months but only covers from about entrance 4 onwards, so if a taxi stops near the first gates, where Thai is, then you can grab as many do that taxi.

The funny thing is when a taxi is entering the gated area, the driver has to point out the passenger, which makes the passenger feel a tad odd

"Look see I have a falang, can I come in?"

Don Muang I fly into most weeks a few times, never waited more than 15 20 mintues tops, not an hour, but the wait there is long than swampy

Here's another way to think about it................the guys that bring customers to the airport that get lucky enough to get assholes like us should be happy as opposed to those that line up like vultures to take our sex starved cocks to their resting place. I have and will continue to patronize the upstairs taxis.

This Saving 50 baht crap should be left to lonely planet etc

True, but if memory serves, the inclination to take a taxi from departures, harks back to the days at Don Muang, when taking a taxi from where you were supposed to, was an exercise frustration and terror.

After taking a 12 hour flight, one was set upon by touts clawing at your ankles, trying to make off with your bags, if you did make it to the stand, where you could get a 'legit' taxi, the staff would get your destination wrong and the resultant driver would be hopped up on meth and extort an extra tip from you just to take you to the destination.

In those days, the departure option was a quick and easy way to get a taxi, the 50 bht saving was not the main consideration.

JMHO

Due to luggage and being tired coming back from china I decided to use the official 50 - Baht taxis downstairs for the first time in my entire life . Result was that the guy asked me to pay 400 Baht to the river . I refused and pointed at the meter . On arrival he refused to pay change of 35 Baht . I kept on sitting in the car , he paid change. The guy was such an arsehole that I kept the complaints paper that they give you and now plan to send it back to somewhere . Problem being that the address is in Thai and I am in Germany .

Taking taxi from departure is usually much faster than queuing at the regular line which is why I use them .

You'll also find that the Taxis at the Departure area are more anxious to get on their way as they can't stay around and as such will, more often than not, do as requested i.e. switch on the meter.

Buffalo Bill - you were right in my opinion to wait for the change. The regulars know the scams they pull and all it needs is to enforce the fact that we aren't a pushover.

Archived