Taxis From Departures Level

Hamokhamok

I wonder how it works if I am going to Sukhumvit and I grab a taxi from Departures who is just dropping someone off from Pattaya?

Guess they can always refuse the fare :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The exception rules it seems.

I've take the airport public taxi at least twice per month for the last 10+ - never once have I had a taxi from the queue not use the meter.

How do you guys get so lucky to have all these interesting experiences?

I wonder how it works if I am going to Sukhumvit and I grab a taxi from Departures who is just dropping someone off from Pattaya?

Guess they can always refuse the fare :)

The Taxi would be 99.999975% a Bangkok Taxi anyway

The Blue & Yellow Pattaya Taxis seem to be a local thing....Don't even know if they are allowed to go to Bangkok

The Taxi would be 99.999975% a Bangkok Taxi anyway

The Blue & Yellow Pattaya Taxis seem to be a local thing....Don't even know if they are allowed to go to Bangkok

Ok agree but I also believe in Pattaya they have Pink ones and Yellow & Green as in BKK. Not that it matters to me.......not CC pay 50 baht always :wink:

I've take the airport public taxi at least twice per month for the last 10+ - never once have I had a taxi from the queue not use the meter.

How do you guys get so lucky to have all these interesting experiences?

Beware od driver 2141 , him no good

i always used to take a taxi from the departure on the 4th floor . never knew it saved 50 B

but used to do it to get saved from the thugs(the girls standing on floor as shouting u want taxi

)at the airport and the long queues

• 2 months later...

Ten years on, airport changed, same thing: catching a taxi at drop off point.

Taxi drivers hate airport and easily refuse to take passengers there because it means 2-3 hours queue to get new fare from the arrival level. 50THB surcharge is to compensate them for that wait and prevent en-masse refusal to take people to the airport.

Back then (2003) I knew they (taxis) pay 800 (or 1,200?) baht to use the taxi vehicle for 1 shift. They may get 400B going to the airport but then miss that much while queing for return passengers.

They may storm with no passengers but if they are seen (often policed) taking someone and leaving without joining the queue (thus depleting number of available taxis for arriving passengers) they get fined (was 2,000THB at Don Muang).

Last taxi ride to the airport (10 years ago, always rentacar since) I kind of remember a time ticket taxis had to take when entering and return it when leaving, an officer would check the timestamp. If too soon and somebody in the car, the driver was cheating the queue. Had to be a novice to get into that trap.

Taxi rental is about the same as in 2003, but it depends on the age and condition of the taxi. The newest will be expensive. Lately, I've encountered a fair number of cabbies who got smart and bought a used taxi. They can buy one with 3 or more years use still on it for about 300,000 baht. That works out cheaper than renting one every day.

Archived