It's Songkran!

Flashermac

My first time here for Songkran. Yesterday worked in apartment all day and didn't head outdoors till about 1am, had some random girls on the street stick the white paste shit on my face - thought "what's the big deal"? This is nothing.

Today went to meet a friend who is here on a layover between jobs, he didn't know it was Songkran. Met up over near Sunrise tacos on Soi 12 about 3pm. Started walking down my street (soi 13) towards Suk and once again had a handful of girls with little jars douse with me with some water and a little more of the white paste stuff. Once again I thought - 'what's the big deal, this is nothing,' I actually liked as one of the girls was cute as fuck.

When I get to Sukumwit I approach the overpass to cross to soi 12 and see some tourist (or expat) guy in a tank top, about 128kg in stature, with his little kid, both armed with the super powered mega squirt guns - they creep up right behind an elderly Asian tourist couple that were dressed nice and just walking slow looking around (I think a bit curious about what was happening). They sounded Japanese from a distance. Anyway - this guy and his kid blast the woman and man from behind at pretty close range, the woman almost falls down and looks horrified - what I assume is her husband is just confused. I said - "hey, take it easy man they're very old and not from here" Don't know where big man was from or if he understood, but - big man and his son proceed to start squirting me. Then people behind me start squirting them. I looked around and the old couple disappeared somewhere. I just walked across the overpass to soi 12. Fucking morons.

OTOH, did see people having fun too, dancing around and laughing in the street. Not quite sure what to think at this point.

I can definitely understand an aversion to it - and the armed patrols of drunk Farang with mega squirt guns walking up and down suk hitting random strangers - strangers who are obviously not prepared or who are dressed nice - is beyond fucking stupid.

:yeahthat: Was in that same place around the same time (Sunrise Taco's Soi 12 area) - and witnessed similar scenes - which is the main reason I dislike what Songkran has become. It is not the Thai's who seem to enjoy the fun - it is the foreigners that cannot behave with any degree of respect to others who happen to be in their line of sight.

I also find it a dangerous time to drive around the city with all the water throwing going on both from the streets to moving cars/pickup trucks and from the mostly pickup trucks trolling around the roads.

I was at Asoke early this afternoon. Some Thais occasionally approached me with water, but I waved them off and they left me alone. It was the bunghole Farangs who blasted me, as always. I consider their behaviour sufficient grounds to return fire with .38 cal. Smith & Wesson.

Archived