A Tragedy During Songkran

zen4dummies

On Sunday, the second day of Songkran, my wife learned that there had been a fatal accident in her village that involved a motorcycle registered to her. Her son (13) had loaned the motorcycle to a friend. The friend was reportedly speeding and hit a 7 year old boy, killing him. Her son was not on the motorcycle.

This is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to my wife and her family. Her son has been hiding since then.

She said that there was some talk that the police might keep the motorcycle. I told her to send them the title and let them keep it. We don't want it around.

Does anyone have an thoughts about what her responsibility both legally and within Thai customs might be?

Thanks, zen

Probably nothing will happen, but it is worth noting that even the 13-year-old son is too young to drive legally in Thailand. (The minimum age is 18!) If the police want to make an issue, they could over that. But then they would have to go after almost everyone in the village, since the age requirement is universally ignored in Thailand.

I agree with you. Let them keep the bike ... nothing but bad memories.

As to customs, you might be expected to help pay for the furneral. I have seen that happen, but don't know how widespread it is.

On Sunday, the second day of Songkran, my wife learned that there had been a fatal accident in her village that involved a motorcycle registered to her. Her son (13) had loaned the motorcycle to a friend. The friend was reportedly speeding and hit a 7 year old boy, killing him. Her son was not on the motorcycle.

This is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to my wife and her family. Her son has been hiding since then.

She said that there was some talk that the police might keep the motorcycle. I told her to send them the title and let them keep it. We don't want it around.

Does anyone have an thoughts about what her responsibility both legally and within Thai customs might be?

Thanks, zen

Had something similar long ago...although it was a car and did not involve a death.

I would strongly urge you to invest a few thousand baht and have a business card from a lawyer- a Thai lawyer- that any questions from the police could be referred to.

Even though I doubt you have any legal downside here police hinting that they can "help" with this can be very stressful.

I talked to a friend that has lived here for decades and he asked his Thai daughters what they thought about the situation. They said that the police will very likely allow time for the two families involved (the parents of the driver and the parents of the boy that was killed) to come to a settlement. If they cannot come to terms the problem will be handled by the Thai legal system. If it gets to that point I will do as Acockasian wisely suggested and ontact an attorney. My wife said that the family of the boy that was operating the motor scooter have money (whatever that means in a remote village) so it will likely stop there. The friends daughters also said that my wife's story must be that she did not tell her son he could ride the bike, which is true. And the stepson should not talk to the police. He will be coming to Bangkok today and that was planned beforehand.

There will be no attempt to recover the motorcycle - the police can keep it.

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

zen

^^^ Why not get the motor bike, sell it even if at a loss in some other city, and offer the money to the family of the departed?

The idea here is to keep a low profile and try to stay out of any settlement. Giving the family of the deceased money would be accepting responsibility at some level. A 4 year old motorcycle (bought used for 23000 baht) cannot be worth much. The police can keep it.

Archived