Songkran - Some Idiots Don't Know When To Stop

MikeN

I know many people hate Songkran but I usually don't mind it. If you don't want to get wet stay out of the usual combat zones, ie soi 4, cowboy, silom etc. The only thing that gets to me are the idiot farangs who don't know when to stop the water fights.

I often go to the downunder bar on Sukhumvit soi 7, usually to watch the footy over a few beers, but on monday night around 11pm I decided to drop in on my way home for a last drink. I was following another guy up the soi, a few metres behind him luckily, when a couple of goons at the front of the Downunder started drenching him, followed by a couple of the girls tipping buckets of water over him. I heard him tell them its all over, and one of the guys said "...my bar, I'll do what i want".

I watched a bit of pushing and shoving, then turned around and walked away. I did n't need one last drink that badly. If he really was the owner he has lost my business in future, and if he was n't really the owner but just bullshitting then the place needs a new mamasan. Either way, there are plenty of other bars to drink at if the Downunder wants to lose business. :neener:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Asoke Saturday afternoon but had enough sense to stay out of Soi Cowboy. A few Thais spotted me and got a gleam in their eye, but I waved them off and the left me alone. The Farangs didn't.

That whole area can be especially nasty. Songkran fun is supposed to end at sundown, but the douchebags don't care. I've seen Brits around Jules go out of their way to target people who were obviously dressed for work, not play. They practically had an orgasm when they managed to soak an expat in a business suit. I'm surprised there aren't more punch ups during Songkran - Farang versus Farang.

Hi,

"Som na na... He's an idiot to be out on Songkron and not expect to get wet."

Totally disagree. He should be allowed to NOT get soaked if he doesn't want to 'play'.

You expect people who don't like Songkran to stay locked in their apartment/house for 3-4 days because some assholes don't know the line between fun and harrashment?

Sanuk!

Posting at 04:25 - so maybe that shows your state of mind.

I'm not sure who you think is the IDIOT - but it is not the person who choses to continues to function / live in town during Songkran.

Any one without the common decency to understand this - well, this is the definition of IDIOT -

idiot - an utterly foolish or senseless person.

The OP said Monday night at 11pm. The water should have stopped around 6.30 - 7 pm. Ok, on the last night it can go a little bit longer but even in soi 4 it had stopped by around 8pm on Monday the last day of "play water".

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

Totally disagree. He should be allowed to NOT get soaked if he doesn't want to 'play'.

You expect people who don't like Songkran to stay locked in their apartment/house for 3-4 days because some assholes don't know the line between fun and harrashment?

Sanuk!

I was not commenting on the morality of people throwing water on those who do not want it. I was commenting on the futility of the "mai mai mai" defense and thinking that will keep you from getting splashed by the drunken masses. and that IMHO is like walking blind into the street and not expecting to get hit.

No, I dont KS, but i dont make the rules. We just live / visit here. Yes, "idiot" was too strong a word to use. Sorry for that but it was in the title so it sounds like the tone of the OP.

However, after 6 Songkrons in LOS, I just can't get past not expecting to get wet. I know it, I expect and plan for it, I DONT want it. But it is just the way of the Thai and the drunken mass. Though I too dont like it after a few days and would very much appreciate civility and respect, I do not expect it.

I know many people hate Songkran but I usually don't mind it. If you don't want to get wet stay out of the usual combat zones, ie soi 4, cowboy, silom etc. The only thing that gets to me are the idiot farangs who don't know when to stop the water fights.

Shakespeare couldn't have put it better. :) I actually didn't mind Songkran either, especially some of the girls - good god. But the idiots who took it too far, well beyond the live fire zones and the actual hours -- and some of the more obnoxious displays I observed personally (blasting an elderly woman at soi 12) -- those fools, I'd love to squirt them with some skunk juice, the real thing, and let them taste Som Nam Naaa.

Oh yeah.

Som na na... He's an idiot to be out on Songkron and not expect to get wet. (you too)

The only idiots are the fukwits soaking people at 11 o'clock at night. :mad:

I'll be back in LOS at the end of the week, could have come earlier but had no intention of being in Bangkok during Songkran.

Hi,

Sanuk!

+1

Down here it's 7 or 8 days...

Far can crazy....

It's a wonder there aren't some serious beatings over the BS actions of the many idiot farang FW's ......it really defies belief

The one thing that ..."Really" pisses me off....and why I stay indoors over this period....Is the retarded act of filling the buckets with huge blocks of Ice....and trying to freeze everyone that passes by...

....Far Can RETARDS.........IMHO

Archived