Songkran - Some Idiots Don't Know When To Stop

MikeN

The only idiots are the fukwits soaking people at 11 o'clock at night. :mad:

I'll be back in LOS at the end of the week, could have come earlier but had no intention of being in Bangkok during Songkran.

i see that the most awful place in Thailand,namely Phuket has recorded no deaths over the first 5 days of the festival,well none due to the festivities and stupidity.

i see they have official 'water-play zones' where the sale of alcohol is banned from any outlet and no drinking in these areas but hey,just spend the whole day/night throwing about whilst supping your brand of cola which no-one seems to like.

i see Bangla Rd is one of the areas,bet that went down well with all the bar/restaurant owners and the convenience stores.....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Songkran water insanity is a Northern tradition, which apparently wasn't even known in Bangkok until the second decade of the 20th century. It's arrival in Phuket and the South is comparatively recent. A few years back the governor of Phuket ordered that water throwing would be allowed on the first day only. I expect that makes the difference. It is an off-island tradition, more or less brought over by the many newcomers in the past two decades.

...and that's why I go up country (Khon Kaen)...like zero idiots, no one with ice cubes or hot peppers in the water!!

This year, the main water line was broke in the Moo Baan and very, very limited water.

As hot as it was, I was looking forward to a dose of water, but hardly to be had :dunno:

The Songkran water insanity is a Northern tradition, which apparently wasn't even known in Bangkok until the second decade of the 20th century. It's arrival in Phuket and the South is comparatively recent. A few years back the governor of Phuket ordered that water throwing would be allowed on the first day only. I expect that makes the difference. It is an off-island tradition, more or less brought over by the many newcomers in the past two decades.

same same in Huahin, all restricted to one day only.

Archived