Explosions Reported At Boston Marathon Finish Line

TheCorinthian

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bush started out quite differently than he end up. It all went hay wire with 9-11.

Enough of the thread hijack. Let's get back to the Boston Massacre. Latest figures - 3 dead, 140+ injured (many seriously). Reports say the bombs were in trash bins! Shades of the NY Eve bombings in Bangkok.

Despite the often times mind boggling technological advances these days as well as controls for things that can cause mass damage, I think some of us if not most of us think we should be able to avoid, pre-empt, etc. bombing of these types.

We were very lucky not to have a domestic terrorist strike for several years after 9/11. The shoe bomber wasn't pre-empted. That was just plain dumb luck. That african kid got dimed out by his mom I think.

There is simply no way to stop a determined person or group. We have to be right/fortunate/lucky,etc. 100% of the time the bad guys just have to be successful once.

Movies make it seem like we can do anything and find out anything. The reality I think is far from that. Add in the fact that balls can be dropped or ignored (9/11) and throw in the ego and intra departmental rivalries and things can be ignored or downplayed due to politics.

I'm gonna wait until we get a full report or at least a report that pins things down.

Bush/Cheney did leave a residue that will take years to remove. Obama wasn't the best person to come after him in my humble opinion. He became establishment when we needed someone who would kick ass and take names. In my opinion the Bush administration has to be the worst since..hmmm...hard to say...Nixon at least got some things done...may have to go back decades...for an administration that bad, maybe the U.S. Grant administration or after the Tea Pot dome scandal days. The only salient positive I can think of that the Bush years got done were an unprecedented amount of funding to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa and those billions came with things attached. I'm trying to be fair, what were the highlights of the Bush years? What can we say to counteract the bad stuff? Nixon signed in some of the most progressive legislation ever (Disabilities act, Endangered species, etc.). Johnson had the war but the Civil Rights Act, the War on Poverty was a major social change. Carter inherited most of his economic problems and at least had the Camp David peace accord.

Obama will have his accomplishments. I think the reason he embraced the term 'Obamacare' because he knew long term it would be seen as a positive and his championing gay marriage will be his Civil Rights act similar to Johnson. Gay marriage will be the norm no matter where you stand on the issue. Gun control may be another thing that comes out of his legacy as well as ending both wars. I am disappointed in him though. Especially in the area of civil liberties which is very surprising coming from someone who cut his teeth for the rights of impoverished inner city minorities in Chicago.

Bush/Cheney did leave a residue that will take years to remove. Obama wasn't the best person to come after him in my humble opinion. He became establishment when we needed someone who would kick ass and take names. In my opinion the Bush administration has to be the worst since..hmmm...hard to say...Nixon at least got some things done...may have to go back decades...for an administration that bad, maybe the U.S. Grant administration or after the Tea Pot dome scandal days. The only salient positive I can think of that the Bush years got done were an unprecedented amount of funding to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa and those billions came with things attached. I'm trying to be fair, what were the highlights of the Bush years? What can we say to counteract the bad stuff? Nixon signed in some of the most progressive legislation ever (Disabilities act, Endangered species, etc.). Johnson had the war but the Civil Rights Act, the War on Poverty was a major social change. Carter inherited most of his economic problems and at least had the Camp David peace accord.

Obama will have his accomplishments. I think the reason he embraced the term 'Obamacare' because he knew long term it would be seen as a positive and his championing gay marriage will be his Civil Rights act similar to Johnson. Gay marriage will be the norm no matter where you stand on the issue. Gun control may be another thing that comes out of his legacy as well as ending both wars. I am disappointed in him though. Especially in the area of civil liberties which is very surprising coming from someone who cut his teeth for the rights of impoverished inner city minorities in Chicago.

Gobble, the thread is about a tragic bombing at the Boston Marathon, so what the above has got to do with it I really don't know. :dunno:

Gobble, the thread is about a tragic bombing at the Boston Marathon, so what the above has got to do with it I really don't know. :dunno:

have to agree Munchie.

should'nt all this talk about who is to blame be in it's own thread in the USA thread?(i see Nixon got a mention)... :dunno:

no one particular person is to blame,an event like this is impossible to police safely 100%.

Obama administration SLASHED budget for domestic bombing prevention by 45 per cent, says former Homeland Security Assistant Secretary

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2310110/Obama-administration-SLASHED-budget-domestic-bombing-prevention-45-cent-says-Homeland-Security-Assistant-Secretary.html

Home-made devices in Boston Marathon attack were made from pressure cooker bombs - al Qaeda's 'most effective weapon' - and featured in terror guide 'Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom'

http://www.dailymail...re-cookers.html

There obviously wasn't much in Boston, since the bomber apparently just wandered in with a couple of duffelbags and placed them without being questioned.

Latest news is they think they've got the guy on video.

<< The bombs were crudely fashioned from ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and ball bearings, investigators and others close to the case said. Investigators suspect the devices were then hidden in black duffel bags and left on the ground.

As a result, they were looking for images of someone lugging a dark, heavy bag.

One department store video "has confirmed that a suspect is seen dropping a bag near the point of the second explosion and heading off," Murphy said.

A law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity confirmed only that investigators had an image of a potential suspect whose name was not known to them and who had not been questioned.

Several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor department store between the sites of the bomb blasts. >>

http://hosted.ap.org...-04-17-19-28-35

Archived