Eye Glasses

gawguy

I haven't shopped around too much, just a little. I've always used Beautiful Optic and they are now quite expensive.

I'm pretty sure there is a dual pricing system although the difference is hard to confirm on my own. For me they always pull out a price sheet and then they say, "I can give a 10% discount", which is still high, but they won't go down any lower. It's BS.

Anyway I just bought lenses for sunglasses. I brought my own frames and a recent perscription from the US. These are progressive tri-focals, lenses only, and I paid 7,400 baht. I've just started wearing them and they're good.

But what do you think about the price?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note that many of the top international brand names use frames made in China. You were wise to buy our own frames. There are some shops in Yaowarat (Chinatown) that sell only frames. They mainly deal in large quantities, but will sell you one or two as well, quite reasonable.

p.s. I have no idea about that price, since I have never bought bi-focals, let alone tri-focals. I just need reading glasses, so far.

As my doctor told me.........a $5.00 pair at 7Eleven are just as good as a $500 pair at an optomotrist. Incidently I don't wear glasses. But am sure under certain circumstances this logic fails.

If you really want to be a cheap charlie, do what a friend did. He looked through the bins of cheap reading glasses until he found a pair that suited his right eye. Then he found another pair for his left eye. He bought both pairs (100 baht each) and switched the lenses around to make one good pair. He kept the other frames as a spare.

Interestingly the other thing my doctor said is the different lenses for left and right eye is all a myth as well. It was explained that in most cases normal failure of site due to aging is faster in one eye than the other. All the different lenses does is equal the slow deteriation. Using the same lenses balances the degeneration. Equel lenses allows one eye to catch up with the other for a nicely balanced short-sightedness :)

100 Baht a pair she saw him coming but he could not see her, Corner of Silom / Convent 59 Baht a pair for one or 100 Baht for 2, not sure if it is my charm or my devilish good looks gets me this price :)

Back to the OP, you seam to be paying approx 2 times the real price I wear Vari-focal photosensative lenses in designer frame for my best glasses which I use at Weddings Barmitzhas and funerals, I think it was 1K for the frame and 2.5K for the lenses, but my 50 Baht "Off the Shelve" Emergency glasses work just as well.

100 Baht a pair she saw him coming but he could not see her, Corner of Silom / Convent 59 Baht a pair for one or 100 Baht for 2, not sure if it is my charm or my devilish good looks gets me this price :)

Back to the OP, you seam to be paying approx 2 times the real price I wear Vari-focal photosensative lenses in designer frame for my best glasses which I use at Weddings Barmitzhas and funerals, I think it was 1K for the frame and 2.5K for the lenses, but my 50 Baht "Off the Shelve" Emergency glasses work just as well.

Okay...so you guys like to be cute - I'm getting replies from guys who don't wear glasses...not exactly what I had in mind.

So.. Mekong...where did you buy these glasses?

Thanks..GG

Okay...so you guys like to be cute - I'm getting replies from guys who don't wear glasses...not exactly what I had in mind.

So.. Mekong...where did you buy these glasses?

Thanks..GG

You asked the question....I replied. Wasn't aware I needed to wear glasses to qualify to reply.

Just passing on what I know.

Frame in Ploenchit, Lenses from a local optician in Soi Suan Plu

I'm in Pattaya and if there are "local" opticians around they are well hidden. There are Beautiful Optic and Top Choeron shops everywhere. One time I went into an optical shop in the Big C center, north Pattaya, but they were as expensive as the big names. Does anyone know of a cheaper one in Pattaya?

Thanks..GG

Archived