Eye Glasses

gawguy

I'm in Pattaya and if there are "local" opticians around they are well hidden. There are Beautiful Optic and Top Choeron shops everywhere. One time I went into an optical shop in the Big C center, north Pattaya, but they were as expensive as the big names. Does anyone know of a cheaper one in Pattaya?

Thanks..GG

I have no idea if they are cheaper but there is a shop on Pattaya Tai (south road) close to Bamboo bar that sells both watches and spectacles. They have made lenses for sunglases for me. They might be worth checking out.

ALHOLK

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway I just bought lenses for sunglasses. I brought my own frames and a recent perscription from the US. These are progressive tri-focals, lenses only, and I paid 7,400 baht. I've just started wearing them and they're good.

But what do you think about the price?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

I think the price was good.

Name brand frames are expensive everywhere. Savings can be found on line but still expensive.

I too bring my own frames and prescription and save a bundle. I use Beautiful Optical on Ploenchit. Rx sunglasses for $23.00.

Follow the promotions offered by the optical shops. Value can be had.

I think the price was good.

Name brand frames are expensive everywhere. Savings can be found on line but still expensive.

I too bring my own frames and prescription and save a bundle. I use Beautiful Optical on Ploenchit. Rx sunglasses for $23.00.

Follow the promotions offered by the optical shops. Value can be had.

eyes are funny things-well mine are.

i don't need expensive prescription glasses and get by on pairs which cost me the equivalent of around 50Bt.

i do need them for reading but i sometimes have to vary them according to the light conditions(cloudy,sunshine,artificial light etc) and sometimes when my eyes are a little tired.

thankfully i don't need them for distances over about 4 feet.

but no doubt time will come when my eyesight gets really bad.

thankfully

I've paid for good glasses at opticians and found that they break and scratch just as easily as the 100 bht ones. $600 later and...

now I keep an eye out :) when passing the 100 bht stalls and always have a pair or two in reserve for when the glasses du jour become unserviceable...

I've paid for good glasses at opticians and found that they break and scratch just as easily as the 100 bht ones. $600 later and...

now I keep an eye out :) when passing the 100 bht stalls and always have a pair or two in reserve for when the glasses du jour become unserviceable...

If it works for you that's good, but not all vision issues can be corrected with reading glasses from the corner store. I have one eye substantially worse than the other. This is life-long problem which was finally addressed with glasses when I was 13. What a revelation - "I can see!"

I used to pay about $300 US for progressive bifocal with anti-reflection coating - that is, until I found www.zennioptical.com . :cheerleader: You can upload your photo and try on frames they have online that start at about $7 US. I'm still wearing the glasses I ordered from them about 2 yrs ago for about $50 US. Their glasses are great and they have an excellent reputation. I was so impressed that I later ordered a couple of prescription glasses for cycling, one for cloudy days and another for sunny days. They ship internationally, $10 - $40, depending on country.

My right eye has always been far worse than my left eye, nothing I can do about it, was how I was born, deformed you may say :)

However it negates Bust's point though, different people have a vast variety of reasons for needing glasses

I used to pay about $300 US for progressive bifocal with anti-reflection coating - that is, until I found www.zennioptical.com . :cheerleader: You can upload your photo and try on frames they have online that start at about $7 US. I'm still wearing the glasses I ordered from them about 2 yrs ago for about $50 US. Their glasses are great and they have an excellent reputation. I was so impressed that I later ordered a couple of prescription glasses for cycling, one for cloudy days and another for sunny days. They ship internationally, $10 - $40, depending on country.

I heard good things about that site too on another message board, but am yet to try them. They had quite a nice selection of frames when I last looked.

As I understood it, apparently you just send them the results of your eye test, choose the frames and they do the rest.

I would be seriously suspicious of this. I once looked into doing such a business through the Internet. The problem is getting the focal distance correct for the frames. Get it slightly off and you can have problems. You almost have to have an optician adjust the fames for your face in person.

Archived