Eye Glasses

gawguy

Focal distance is not something you should be concerned with when buying glasses if you have a prescription from a doctor. When buying from Zenni, you would need to provide your prescription and to measure the distance between your eyeballs to get the right size frame. Also, you'd need to try on the frame. Online, it's virtual and involves uploading your photo and following directions. For a bifocal, one area that may be of concern is how the glasses rest relative to your eyeballs. I believe Zenni uses lower 48% (of the lens) for near vision and upper 52% for far vision. This is for people without special needs. If you typically wear your glasses too high or too low on your nose -- you would need to get fitted by an Optometrist. I don't think they sell trifocals because of the complexity.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother tried contacts using "alternate vision" for a while. One lens is for distance, the other close up. You are supposed to learn to adapt to using whichever eye has the lens you need. She said it worked, but it sounds to me like a good way to get vertigo and fall over. :p

The eyeglass business in the US and elsewhere is controlled largely by one company...Luxottica with brands like Oliver People, Ray Ban,

Oakley, etc...and that is why a pair of eyeglasses is in the $200 plus range. There are some mail order companies that have limited success as i suspect most would want to try on their eyeglasses.

One new company, Warby Parker is using a new model...a number of limited retail stores in select cities plus online business.

They design or select the plastic frames from manufacturers in China and advertise a complete pair of eyeglasses for $95, including perscription non-glare lenses. I purchased a pair from Warby Parker and am very satisfied with my purchase.

Archived