What Are These Different Connections?

gawguy

I've been using True for internet access via aircard for quite awhile now. It works pretty well. Sometimes very well, sometimes not so much.

I get various indications from my aircard software when I log on.

Sometimes it says "PC UMTS" // Below that "52000" or "PC HSDPA // 52000." Are they the same? And 52000 what?

Other times I get "RPC UMTS" and when I clik Connect I get a msg "You are in roaming status. The charge might be higher." Of course it isn't, at least I think it isn't, because I'm not charged for time but for how much I download.

Sometimes, not often, the software beeps and I get dropped on my arse. I have to reconnect which blows away videos in progress and they have to be restarted.

I would appreciate any info on these different connection types. If I could get a modicum of understanding, perhaps I could feel a modicum of control - or a quantum of solace - anything would be an improvement.

Thanks,

GG

Okay..thanks. The links make it slightly clearer than mud. I do see a carrier code in second link

"True Move 52099" and when the numeric code 52000 is there, it is where "True" is when "True" is shown, so yeah, that's the carrier code.

From other things I see it seems like UMTS may be 3G and HSDPA may be 3.5G. I don't get consistent speeds though no matter what alpahbet soup is showing. Seem to get bounced around like a ping pong ball and it's catch as catch can.

Thank you baa.

GG

Archived