Responses To "khun Roo Mak!"

gawguy

Met a young lady in passing the other day. Good humored, likes to talk and talk and kid around. After about 5 minutes she hit me with the dreaded, "Farang poot pasah thai mai dee. Khun roo mak!"My interpretation of that statement is, "Because you can speak Thai, you know an awful lot about Thailand and Thai people, which means there's a 90% chance that you're an asshole who wants to manipulate and use Thai people." Smile, smile.This has also been said to me more seriously.I always wonder what to say. I don't want to say I don't know anything, that's seems stupid. Anyway, knowing a lot seems like a good thing, except with that expression.My reply to young lady the other night, "Mai roo mak. Roo paw dii." That's probably not good Thai, but what I was saying was, "I don't know a lot. I know just enough." She understood what I meant, not that it mattered.What do you think? Or say?GG

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"My interpretation of that statement is, "Because you can speak Thai, you know an awful lot about Thailand and Thai people, which means there's a 90% chance that you're an asshole who wants to manipulate and use Thai people.""

More like, you know too much about this country and its people that I cannot easily rip you off.

Sanuk!

While I tend to go with the 'Farang him know too mutt' and therefore can't be ripped off too easily, I'm looking at the OP's take on it and the situation. It just could be two different sentences put together.

(Reading between the lines) He's kidding around, and says something out of context for the company he's with. Hence the "poot pasah thai mai dee" bit as most Thais are fairly direct, but at the same time she is admitting (in the second sentence) that he knows more than the average Joe.

If that indeed were the case, she'd probably be royally pissed off if she wasn't a BG and some typical 'Thaibarglish' happened to be uttered.

Archived