Responses To "khun Roo Mak!"

gawguy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Met a young lady in passing the other day. Good humored, likes to talk and talk and kid around. After about 5 minutes she hit me with the dreaded, "Farang poot pasah thai mai dee. Khun roo mak!"

My understanding about the word "know" is the following: "Roo" or (ruuchak) refers to knowing somebody or someplace, whereas "sahp" refers to knowing how to do something or a fact.

The only times I've had a negative reaction for speaking Thai have been in a bar or from a bargirl. A few BGs have simply spun on their heels and walked away when I greeted their approach with Thai.

Flash...it was probably because you didn't know her before and the fact that your first words to her were "can I come in your mouth" that resulted in the retreat. :neener: HH

My understanding about the word "know" is the following: "Roo" or (ruuchak) refers to knowing somebody or someplace, whereas "sahp" refers to knowing how to do something or a fact.

Sahp ทราบ is just the polite version of "to know".

Just like "Sunak" for dog instead of "Maa", "Thaan" for eat instead of "Gin" etc. etc.

Hi,

""Thaan" for eat instead of "Gin""

There's actually quite a few words for eating, the ones I know (ranging from polite to impolite) are:

rappathaan, thaan, gin, daek

There may well be even more.

BTW, the last one is definitely NOT something to use in polite company!

Sanuk!

Archived